Tip #005 - What tires do you have and what tires do you need in Winter?
March 30, 2021
CAUTION: Please do your own research when it comes to best tires for your location.
How to know what Tires you have on your Tesla?
I have a Model X. I took pictures of the tires and I looked at the data sheet. With the data sheet I confirmed I had the "All Season" tires. With the picture of the tire I confirmed they are good in Mud and Snow. See the "M . S" symbol.
Do you need Winter tires?
Again, do your own research. But here are some things to consider.
- If you have the Performance tires, do not expect they will take care of you in winter conditions.
- If you do have or get Winter (Snow) tires, do not drive them during summer conditions. They will wear fast and have more road noise.
- I have driven in Minnesota for over 50 years and never used Winter tires. Once Radial Tires and All Season tires became available, that was all I needed.
- However, higher elevation with more snow days, areas with less traveled roads, or less plowing and salting of roads, you may very well be better off with Winter tires.
- Winter tires are more pliable in cold weather so they can provide a smoother ride rather than stiffer, summer tires. Also being more pliable gives better traction with the road.