Discuss: Tesla Reduces FSD Beta "Jail" Sentence

Hagg6

Oct 6, 2022
Tesla can't tell if you are using a weight if they can't tell when you aren't using one. For some drivers, merely placing their hand on the wheel will provide enough weight to keep messages away. For others, it requires active tugging, even if they hold the wheel full time. The problem is that if putting pressure on the wheel is what's needed to keep Autopilot on, and putting pressure on the wheel is what's needed to override autosteer, then you are going to have drivers who get frustrated when not enough pressure won't stop the messages and adding more causes a disengagement. It's about time for Tesla to go by the camera exclusively instead of the steering wheel since they can't reliably tell anything by checking the steering wheel.

Those people who don't get persistent nags seem unable to grasp that the way it works for them isn't the way it works for everybody. The way it registers their hand merely leaning on the wheel might result in a suspension for somebody else who leans on the wheel without physically working to apply more pressure or actively pull on the wheel compared to somebody else who might merely lean a hand on it.

Not sensing means not knowing whether anybody is holding the wheel or not. Sensing meant knowing that somebody was holding the wheel, until Tesla put in things to try to deal with weights. So now sensing enough pressure or not sensing enough pressure can cause a warning, and adding pressure can get rid of a warning or disable autosteer completely, sometimes without a driver even realizing it. It's a mess.

On top of that, it forces drivers to look less at the road and look more at the screen to see if messages pop up. So you end up with drivers watching for a message, tugging the wheel and keeping their eyes off the road a lot more because of it. Getting drivers to watch the road by forcing them to look away from the road is absurd.

Also, checking if they are holding the wheel only when Autopilot/FSD is off makes no sense. If Autopilot disengages, that's when I want the car to warn me. If the car senses that nobody is holding the wheel with Autopilot off, the solution should be to turn it on, alert the driver, and make sure that the driver then shows signs of paying attention. It's completely backwards the way it is.

Donb1234

Aug 29, 2022
Enough already. When I arived home yesterday and put the my model Y in park a message popped up telling me I had been dinged for misuse. I hadn't even been using FSD at the time. Why has Tesla made FSD almost unusable with these nags and dings?

It has gotten so bad that I am now, when asked, no longer recommending people buy FSD until or unless Tesla can fix this useless "backset" driver.

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
Strange posts, I haven't had any issues with these warnings. In the past the only problem I had that got me put in AP jail was accelerating to over 90MPH on a 75MPH highway IIRC. Something like that. I was not used to how quickly the car could accelerate!

Strange that you get a warning with no explanation on WHY at the end of your drive. Particularly if you're not using AP or FSD. Maybe you missed a warning at the time of the 'event'?

Regardless, I would NEVER suggest anyone buy FSD at this point unless they realize they are gambling with that money. I bought in at $8k before the increase to $10 knowing full well that in the next 5 years that I plan on owning this car (at least) it *might* pay off. Buy Tesla stock or another stock or lottery tickets instead. I'm not saying it will never work, I'm saying I don't know so it's a bet in my mind. Even when it works technically well enough there will still be legislation and lawsuits slowing things down no doubt.

Can you still check your driving score with FSD beta? I feel like that disappeared once I was in, and is your score based on YOUR driving and not when the car is in FSD?

Donb1234

Aug 29, 2022
Ordered my car before they existed and paid $6k for FSD for July 2022 delivery. Waited for Beta and have watched it evolve until this last "fix" which is horrible. It might be ok for the new be's but for us who watched it grow its lost its mind.

I had used FSD earlier in my drive but turned it off after it kept nagging me. I agree with you that being able to check your score wiukd help but it was disabled when I got Beta.

I still love the car and sing its praises but not this version of FSD.

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

MikeRadio

Jan 11, 2023
I was put in suspension jail on Dec 22... its now Jan 11 and I did not get back the fsd... How will it come back? AUtomatically.. will you get a notice... will it need a software update...

I got put on suspension BEFORE the latest software came out with the 2 week thing.. but now that it is installed shpouldn't it work for me... or do I need to wait?

Has ANYONE at all been taken off suspension automatically after 2 weeks??? If so how did it happen