Discuss: Tesla FSD Hardware 4.0 Revealed: More Cameras, New Placements

cali949

Feb 15, 2023
I am scheduled to get my 2023 model Y delivered on Sunday (Feb 19th) but this recent hardware 4.0 update has given me a pause. I cannot afford to switch cars every 3-4 years and I am wondering if there are any recommendations on should I accept the delivery or cancel/replace my order. I doubt that tesla will let me hold my order and push out the delivery. Even though I am not a big fan of FSD (in its current state) but that can change as tesla improves its software. I also feel that cameras (without Radar support) can only be so much effective and accurate in rain/foggy conditions. Any thoughts/recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Legendary

Sep 15, 2022
Hope the new cameras will allow the cars to identify the objects from further away, yesterday I had the ding indicating that the traffic was green, while it was still red and it was just an illuminated sign from 100m away which was green that triggered the thing

dyenunimium

Dec 22, 2022
i told my frd to wait and get a used cheap tesla, Elon doesn't want to roll out free all the hardware upgrades (possibly even the final version of FSD) for paid FSD.
Elon asks FSD for 15k but says upgrading hardware on older tesla is not Feasible.

osarda

Feb 16, 2023
I am scheduled to get my 2023 model Y delivered on Sunday (Feb 19th) but this recent hardware 4.0 update has given me a pause. I cannot afford to switch cars every 3-4 years and I am wondering if there are any recommendations on should I accept the delivery or cancel/replace my order. I doubt that tesla will let me hold my order and push out the delivery. Even though I am not a big fan of FSD (in its current state) but that can change as tesla improves its software. I also feel that cameras (without Radar support) can only be so much effective and accurate in rain/foggy conditions. Any thoughts/recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Hello Cali949,
FYI - We just took a delivery of 2023 MYP in late December. I wouldn't hold out on the promise of HW4 if you are that close to getting your MY. I also have a 2022 MS Plaid and I missed the tilt screen by 1 week of production yet got the Steam hardware to run the games. Other older Plaid owners did not. In other words, don't worry too much about missing out on tech hardware in your car. Tesla will continuously update their cars. The 2023 MY already has the necessary hardware to run FSD just not as 'well' as HW4 is my guess. If anything, the rumor mill says it's because it was designed for the new platform (robotaxi) that will probably get announced on Investor day March 1st. Such a platform will need the higher res cameras and radar. Hope that helps. Enjoy the new car.

mvlaun

Jan 30, 2023
I have a M3P that I got a month ago. I wouldn't wait. You're always going to have FOMO (fear of missing out) with Tesla, but current FSD works pretty darn well on 2023s. I am still waiting for the USS replacement (which for 2023s) is a Teslavision product that hasn't rolled out yet. So, no autopark, but otherwise, FSD can get me to work and back (roughly 20 miles - non highway) with very few interventions. It's pretty amazing.

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

nigeldodd

Feb 18, 2023
I am in a similar position, scheduled for delivery March 4th. I have reservations that Tesla Vision is able to replace USS with the current hardware. So far as I know there is no evidence that it can. No beta software, no video from Tesla showing that it can.

There is a blind spot for the cameras immediately in front of the car.

Elsewhere in this site it suggests that the HW4 update will also include radar (like my current model has, but higher resolution) and this could eliminate the blind spot.

The move to "occupancy network " software, where memory of what was in front of the car when the camera could see that space, might be a partial fix. The HW4 increase in camera resolution and processing power might be helpful here, but there is no substitute for a sensor that can actually see what is there now.

I hope I am wrong in this and welcome replies.