Discuss: Shell's Bold Move Towards Electric Vehicle Infrastructure: Selling Gas Stations, Building Charging Stations

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
Reactions: RNHurt

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
It would be truly interesting to see what a fossil fuel company can/will do in an all BEV future. The thinking around creating EV "gas" stations is wrong. The only way it would work is if charging speeds get down to single digit minutes or even the low teens.

I think a more probable futures is that "gas" stations disappear altogether and everyone will use destination chargers. Maybe the future is (most) all parking lots have a plethora of charging spots spread all over and people just plug in while getting groceries, or going to the movies, or buying shoes.

Sure, Tesla had to create Supercharging locations because they were the first. However, I think it would be much more interesting for companies like Shell to pair up with companies and put chargers in every parking spot. I could imagine plugging in at Chick-fil-A while I get lunch, or Lowe's while I purchase some LED light bulbs. This would actually work pretty well for those folks that don't have charging at home or at work. Just drive around and charge a little bit at each stop you make.

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
It would be truly interesting to see what a fossil fuel company can/will do in an all BEV future. The thinking around creating EV "gas" stations is wrong. The only way it would work is if charging speeds get down to single digit minutes or even the low teens.

I think a more probable futures is that "gas" stations disappear altogether and everyone will use destination chargers. Maybe the future is (most) all parking lots have a plethora of charging spots spread all over and people just plug in while getting groceries, or going to the movies, or buying shoes.

Sure, Tesla had to create Supercharging locations because they were the first. However, I think it would be much more interesting for companies like Shell to pair up with companies and put chargers in every parking spot. I could imagine plugging in at Chick-fil-A while I get lunch, or Lowe's while I purchase some LED light bulbs. This would actually work pretty well for those folks that don't have charging at home or at work. Just drive around and charge a little bit at each stop you make.
You're exactly right. Destination chargers at hotels, and businesses where people spend considerable time like dinner, ski resorts, movies, malls and others seem to be the next logical step. I'm not sure why businesses are being slow to adapt as they can provide a customer benefit and make a little money at the same time by setting up some destination chargers.

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
Does any of the infrastructure money go towards those kind of chargers? We'll still need in the middle of nowhere fast DC chargers, like the Quartzsite chargers here in AZ.
I'm not sure if companies can get Federal money for installing destination chargers. My understanding was that it was for DC fast chargers, not AC destination chargers.

And you're absolutely correct in that we have to still have fast DC chargers, and lots of them. I'm just not sure that they will work well in neighborhoods and other places where "gas" stations typically live.

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard