Discuss: NHTSA May Require PWS to Be Retrofitted on All Electric Vehicles

imacgyver

Feb 10, 2023
Although many dislike the PWS, my wife and I have 2 Teslas…a 2020 M3, and a 2020 MY. The Model Y was one of those built after the NHTSA gave Tesla and other manufacturers an extension on getting the PWS installed. We didn’t realize when we picked up our MY in March 2020 that our car was one of those that Tesla skipped installing a PWS. Our 2020 M3 which was delivered 3 months before that had the PWS installed. If we had known that the the MY was missing a PWS, we would have passed on the delivery. Just recently we scheduled to have the PWS added to the car ($215), but they discovered the wiring harness was also never installed. 😡 At the time the BoomBox feature didn’t exist, but now having an exterior speaker is a fun option. While our neighbors gather during the holidays the past two years to play the LightShow…we get to watch instead of participating. Therefore, we are big fans of the NHTSA requiring A PWS to be installed. However, without a wiring harness in place, I don’t know how we’ll be able to retrofit our car. It’s a little pathetic that Tesla, who is all about safety, would skip the installation in the first place. The speaker itself looks like it cost about $10, and a short wiring harness not too much more! With a harness in place the speaker installation would have taken one minute to power in the 3 screws, and five seconds to plug in the harness!

Snothead

Feb 11, 2023
The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) is investigating whether EVs from 1997 to present should use external speakers.… Read More
Surely this is reverse logic. All electric cars make a noise. But that noise is drowned out by ice vehicles making too much noise. The root cause needs to be removed. There’s no point adding noise to an already noisy environment. Drone an electric cat in a quiet village. It’s very easy to hear. When all vehicles are electric. Cities will be quiet again.