Discuss: Musk Reveals Tesla FSD V14 Rollout Plan, Starting Next Week

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,096
826
113
Yes please.
Tesla has it pretty streamlined right now- get in the car, put on your seatbelt, select a destination (if it didn't pop up automatically) and hit a button. I can see where selecting routes and parking spots and anything more just gums up an elegant interface.
WRT- parking and such, my experience with a few parking lots is the car doesn't navigate them well. Particularly when leaving, often trying to go out a one way entrance or make a left where an exit is right turn only. I really hope these things are addressed or we are gonna look like idiots.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
765
755
93
I am excited about this new version just as much as anyone, but I am skeptical of this “will feel sentient” phrasing we keep hearing. I think this overhypes too much and if it does have any flaws it just gives the doubters more ammunition when it does make mistakes. Either way, I am hopeful that it will be a significant improvement, and I also really hope that we get to see at least some new features come to our cars. Especially the long awaited end of route handling improvements for parking.
 

VoodooPriest

Active member
Nov 26, 2022
131
183
43
I think I know the answer to this, but is there any hope that v14 will come to legacy vehicles?
I've given up hope that we'll get a v13+. It's hard to describe how disenchanted I've become with a 2022 model purchased in Nov 21, over the last 1-2 years. I remember the excitement of waiting for my order. I couldn't care less anymore.
 

RNHurt

Well-known member
Sep 17, 2022
450
359
63
Kentucky
I've given up hope that we'll get a v13+. It's hard to describe how disenchanted I've become with a 2022 model purchased in Nov 21, over the last 1-2 years. I remember the excitement of waiting for my order. I couldn't care less anymore.
Agreed. I used to be super excited about updates, I would check almost daily looking for new and expanded features. Now, I find myself not really caring about updates at all. Even if my car gets an update there is a more than likely chance it won't offer an new features, just undisclosed bug fixes and security updates.

Don't get me wrong, bug fixes and security updates are great and much appreciated, but it feels like the promise of keeping the car up to date is not quite being fulfilled. Especially when it's features that I feel like could be added to legacy vehicles (ie. traffic lights on maps).
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
765
755
93
I've given up hope that we'll get a v13+. It's hard to describe how disenchanted I've become with a 2022 model purchased in Nov 21, over the last 1-2 years. I remember the excitement of waiting for my order. I couldn't care less anymore.
I feel this is the downside of Tesla's almost “smartphone” like upgrade or update interval. If you aren't constantly on the newest hardware, you miss out on new features and capabilities. I'm sure at some point this will slow down significantly, but it really does leave a sour taste in the existing owner's mouth. At this point, it really does make more sense to lease a Tesla than to purchase one outright, unless you can get one used for a good price. But if you like always having the best hardware, newest features, and capabilities, you will at least only need to wait at most 3 years to be able to switch to get the best they have to offer.
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,096
826
113
I feel this is the downside of Tesla's almost “smartphone” like upgrade or update interval. If you aren't constantly on the newest hardware, you miss out on new features and capabilities. I'm sure at some point this will slow down significantly, but it really does leave a sour taste in the existing owner's mouth. At this point, it really does make more sense to lease a Tesla than to purchase one outright, unless you can get one used for a good price. But if you like always having the best hardware, newest features, and capabilities, you will at least only need to wait at most 3 years to be able to switch to get the best they have to offer.
Flip side to this- older Teslas HAVE received improvements and that never happened to my '86 Mustang GT all the way up to my 2010 Prius.
 

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Well-known member
Oct 17, 2023
296
275
63
California
I feel this is the downside of Tesla's almost “smartphone” like upgrade or update interval. If you aren't constantly on the newest hardware, you miss out on new features and capabilities. I'm sure at some point this will slow down significantly, but it really does leave a sour taste in the existing owner's mouth. At this point, it really does make more sense to lease a Tesla than to purchase one outright, unless you can get one used for a good price. But if you like always having the best hardware, newest features, and capabilities, you will at least only need to wait at most 3 years to be able to switch to get the best they have to offer.
except smartphones don’t cost $40,000+ so that’s why a lease can be the best way to go at least until FSD unsupervised is real and dependable.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RNHurt and Procal

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Well-known member
Oct 17, 2023
296
275
63
California
Flip side to this- older Teslas HAVE received improvements and that never happened to my '86 Mustang GT all the way up to my 2010 Prius.
and i’m happy that our cars have still received updates, but the difference is, Tesla directly promised us that AI3 would be able to achieve FSD unsupervised through updates and the updates we get now for AI3 are not what we were promised. when you buy another car you aren’t promised that the car would “get better overnight,”that’s something Elon has said again and again because it’s a selling point for the cars.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
765
755
93
except smartphones don’t cost $40,000+ so that’s why a lease can be the best way to go at least until FSD unsupervised is real and dependable.
That is part of my point. A smartphone is significantly cheaper, and because of this, even if you don't have the latest you don't feel as terrible. And it is something that we have come to expect and understand with regular electronics. That being that they have yearly upgrade cycles. If we apply the same thing to a car, it feels significantly worse, especially when a lot of people bought into the car because of promised capabilities.

In this sense, I somewhat do hope that there is a case or some regulation on manufacturers needing to plan an upgrade path for existing customers. To this day, I will never understand why Tesla doesn't standardize their FSD computer design so that all their cars can be upgraded if the owner chooses to pay for the upgrade. Even now, with AI5 being around the corner, I don't see them making a design that would fit into AI4 or AI3 cars. I feel like these components should be treated like a regular PC that you would build yourself.
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,096
826
113
and i’m happy that our cars have still received updates, but the difference is, Tesla directly promised us that AI3 would be able to achieve FSD unsupervised through updates and the updates we get now for AI3 are not what we were promised. when you buy another car you aren’t promised that the car would “get better overnight,”that’s something Elon has said again and again because it’s a selling point for the cars.
Whelp, right now you will get your HW3 upgraded to whatever runs FSD unsupervised when / if that happens. But yeah, it’s been a while! I suppose we were promised what but not when. I realized I was buying a $8k lottery ticket back in 2020.
 

Karoshi

Member
Sep 3, 2023
23
27
13
I am on my 3rd Model S.

1st car was in 2016 Model S, got the FSD then, but the car was close to 100k, then did a 2k CPU upgrade to HW3 a few years later, slow progress, sold that car in 2019 and got a used Model S 2018, FSD would not transfer as I bought a certified car from TESLA ~50k, came with HW3 but no software lisence , so bought the software licence again.

Just recently, I was in a car accident, rear-ended, Tesla totalled the car, and again, I could not transfer the FSD to a certified used Model S, only a new car, and now I have to buy the FSD software package yet again. I like the 2020 long-range Model S, and I'm not spending 100k on the car again. So triple screwed.

At this point, if you buy FSD, it should remain with the driver, regardless of the car you purchase; locking it to the car seems nonsensical and unfair. I think it would actually encourage people to upgrade their cars more often and stay in the TESLA ecosystem. Currently feels like getting punished.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
765
755
93
I am on my 3rd Model S.

1st car was in 2016 Model S, got the FSD then, but the car was close to 100k, then did a 2k CPU upgrade to HW3 a few years later, slow progress, sold that car in 2019 and got a used Model S 2018, FSD would not transfer as I bought a certified car from TESLA ~50k, came with HW3 but no software lisence , so bought the software licence again.

Just recently, I was in a car accident, rear-ended, Tesla totalled the car, and again, I could not transfer the FSD to a certified used Model S, only a new car, and now I have to buy the FSD software package yet again. I like the 2020 long-range Model S, and I'm not spending 100k on the car again. So triple screwed.

At this point, if you buy FSD, it should remain with the driver, regardless of the car you purchase; locking it to the car seems nonsensical and unfair. I think it would actually encourage people to upgrade their cars more often and stay in the TESLA ecosystem. Currently feels like getting punished.
I agree, but at the same time, we as owners/consumers have to understand that FSD does have a cost in development (at least for now). Tesla making FSD a permanent license that follows the owner doesn't really make sense from a business standpoint for software that is being developed. In my mind, what would make sense is for them to offer a 1 time free transfer of FSD if you purchased it outright, or at least 2 times if like in your case your car is involved in an accident. Instead of attaching it to the car's VIN, it would also be great if it was attached to your Tesla account. That way, you can also use it in loaners and rentals.