Discuss: Leak Reveals Tesla Hardware 4.0 Will Feature Camera Heaters and Fans

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
Any word in there about the rear camera changes? That one seems to collect drips with dirt in them to the point where I must clean it to use it after any precipitation.

Reactions: Legendary

Legendary

Sep 15, 2022
Any word in there about the rear camera changes? That one seems to collect drips with dirt in them to the point where I must clean it to use it after any precipitation.
That's one of my major concerns, along with the fact that there is a GIGANTIC blindspot at the front of the car. That's why the sensors were useful.
The blindspot at the front, combined with the fact that the rear camera is blurry each time it rains, makes the cars without sensors a no-go for me, for the time being at least.

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
All cameras would be upgraded to the higher resolution and possibly better sensors, but there's nothing (at least in this leaked info) that addresses cleaning the rear camera or any of the others besides the front facing which are cleaned by use of the wipers.

Nuordrman

Jan 16, 2023
So for me anytime a hardware rev is released- for those of us that paid for FSD upfront with the promise of FSD being level 5 someday (robotaxi etc) the big question is, will we receive the upgraded hardware at no cost? 2018 Model 3 Dual w/FSD and ACC Boost. Cheers…

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
So for me anytime a hardware rev is released- for those of us that paid for FSD upfront with the promise of FSD being level 5 someday (robotaxi etc) the big question is, will we receive the upgraded hardware at no cost? 2018 Model 3 Dual w/FSD and ACC Boost. Cheers…
That's a good question, I would think so unless there's some kind of FSD2. Still, what could there possibly be after Full Self Driving? I don't know what a v2 would even be! Hovercar or flying taxi maybe?

If all the new stuff is needed to make FSD work instead of fool's self driving then I think they'll have to supply it to those of us who purchased it. They've already done hardware upgrades to cameras and computers IIRC on early FSD capable cars so there is precedent.

Reactions: Nuordrman

Nuordrman

Jan 16, 2023
Thank you. Sounds logical and it’s the right thing to do. If not providing upgraded hardware at no cost then allowing a transfer of your FSD to a new car would be an alternative. With sales volumes starting to slump I think a good percentage would jump on the bandwagon to purchase a new Tesla if FSD transfer were an option when HW4 is rolled out.

mvlaun

Jan 30, 2023
Tesla may be changing its camera layout after pictures surface of a new set up… Read More
These leaked cameras look exactly like the ones on my M3P delivered a couple weeks ago (front cameras are very different than friend's M3). They do appear to be pretty hi-res, but without USS it will be interesting to see if I ever get proximity distances. Notably my Kia can do it, but Tesla now can't.

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
These leaked cameras look exactly like the ones on my M3P delivered a couple weeks ago (front cameras are very different than friend's M3). They do appear to be pretty hi-res, but without USS it will be interesting to see if I ever get proximity distances. Notably my Kia can do it, but Tesla now can't.
Would you be able to post close up photos of your cameras, especially your front camera array and b-pillar cams? What does it say under Controls > Software > Additional Info?