Discuss: How Tesla Should Handle Nag Removal Concern From NHTSA and Transport Canada

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
Hopefully with data that shows the new way of doing things is at LEAST as effective.

Since Tesla recently released data on collisions with and without AP they certainly have something to compare the new way with. I would think whatever data set they have for hands free, it must be pretty small.

Jeffsstuff

Nov 16, 2022
I get that attention is important while using Beta but lets consider something else. Attention is arguably more important when driving without FSD. I mean, FSD is far from perfect but if I'm driving any vehicle and don't pay attention, I run a serious risk of causing an accident. On FSD, inattention only can cause an accident in the event that FSD fails. Thus isn't it the case that driving with FSD is safer than not driving with it? I get it isn't perfect, but removing the nag doesn't make it any safer.
My desire for removing the nag stems from hand issues. I enjoy FSD and AP because I don't need to use as much force while driving and most drives, none at all. But the constant need to apply pressure just to prove to the system that I'm paying attention undoes some of that benefit for me (and I suspect many others as well).

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

Hagg6

Oct 6, 2022
Tesla has never shown any data in the first place indicating that the nags decrease accidents or get people to pay more attention. There's no FMVSS requirement for steering wheel nags, nor is there even a requirement in the US, except in NY, for a driver to hold the wheel. While it makes sense to have standards to assure that a driver is paying attention, it shouldn't be a "seat of the pants" thing. Furthermore, the idea of imposing it on Tesla but nobody else, or requiring it only when Autopilot is on but saying that there's no need to check to see if drivers are paying attention at other times, makes no sense.

I'd love to see a requirement implemented for cars without any ADAS to assure that drivers are watching the road. It would be nice to see a check for the steering wheel that switches on an ADAS if it finds that the driver isn't holding the wheel, and then alerts the driver.

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard