Tesla will now send push notifications when 12V batteries needs to be replaced

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022

NeilP

Sep 14, 2022
I also received notification to replace 12V battery. It also said software will not update until battery is replaced. And right after that, got two more notifications.
1. "Elecrtical system backup power is unavailable. Vehicle will consume more energy while idle."
2. "Electrical system unable to support all features. Shutting down features to conserve energy."
Not sure if these messages are related to 12V battery or something bigger. I scheduled a service to replace 12v battery. The estimate I received is for lead acid battery for $85. So I'm not getting solid state lithium battery.

Reactions: Not a Tesla App

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
I also received notification to replace 12V battery. It also said software will not update until battery is replaced. And right after that, got two more notifications.
1. "Elecrtical system backup power is unavailable. Vehicle will consume more energy while idle."
2. "Electrical system unable to support all features. Shutting down features to conserve energy."
Not sure if these messages are related to 12V battery or something bigger. I scheduled a service to replace 12v battery. The estimate I received is for lead acid battery for $85. So I'm not getting solid state lithium battery.

Thanks for those details. It looks like your 12v battery began to fail right when you received the alert. Unfortunately the lithium-ion low voltage batteries are not able to be easily retrofitted. They actually run at 16v instead of 12v.

Barry

Oct 26, 2022
Thanks for those details. It looks like your 12v battery began to fail right when you received the alert. Unfortunately the lithium-ion low voltage batteries are not able to be easily retrofitted. They actually run at 16v instead of 12v.
Can you clarify: Ohmmu is selling 12v lithium-ion batteries as replacements for the low voltage batteries in the Model S and others. They've shown videos showing the replacement process. Are you indicating that their battery is not compatible (being 16v rather than 12v)? Another question: If the Li-ion battery is actually compatible, do you think Tesla service would install one that I've purchased? Otherwise, do you think Tesla service would install their own Li-ion battery in my 2020 Model S?
One fool can ask enough questions to keep one hundred wise men busy!

SteveWin1

Oct 25, 2022
I just went through my second battery replacement in 4 years. Luckily the last failure was just weeks before my warranty ran out, so Tesla replaced it for free. Since it was free, I didn't bother asking about an upgrade to Li-Ion, because I figured they'd want to charge me for that. It sure seems like a big mistake to have used lead acid batteries in these cars. There are so many Li-Ion batteries in the floor of the car, why not use a few to run the 12V stuff? Maybe its better to wear out a non-liquid-cooled battery that can be more easily swapped?