Tesla moving backwards in comparison to other automakers?

VoodooPriest

Active member
Nov 26, 2022
126
181
43

Apologies if this is buried somewhere else. I know they are going subscription-only for FSD, but completely removing Autopilot, leaving only traffic-aware cruise? I would not buy a 2026 Tesla today. Unless things change, I'm tapping out from Tesla at the end of life for my M3. I have a suspicion the big automakers will surpass Tesla in a variety of ways over the next couple of years. Tesla is having an identity crisis.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
I thought this would happen eventually, especially with the removal of the feature in the standard non-premium models of the 3 and Y when they released. Maybe this is a temporary stop gap before updating the software? Or as the article says, it could be an attempt at nudging people to subscribe to FSD for the added features. I'd even dare say that it could also be an attempt at getting people to continue to pay attention while using Autopilot. I know that a lot of people tend to think that Autopilot is "similar" to FSD and think that it will do things like stop at stop signs, red lights, or even switch lanes, which isn't the case.

Either way, I can't blame you, this is a bad move in my opinion since most cars come with traffic aware cruise control and lane keep assist as standard features now, and for the past few years. Let's hope that this is actually them possibly updating Autopilot or something rather than discontinuing that feature, and we are just calling it a bit too early.
 

VoodooPriest

Active member
Nov 26, 2022
126
181
43
I don't get it myself. Unless you're gonna charge $10/month for the 'basics' but maybe this is Tesla pushing people to get FSD subs? That's $100/mo a lot of people do not have to spend. Who knows.
How long before we don't own anything and just $99.99/mo for everything?
That actually concerns me if they begin putting anything under a subscription (like the MyQ garage door thing). I tried it for a year, thinking, WTH, $40 is too much, but it might be nice to never deal with the garage door opener again. Over time, it had its hiccups and wasn't worth $10/year, let alone $40. If they end up going that direction, I'm out.

I always sound negative on this board. I'm really not. I only comment on things that annoy me re: Tesla.
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,092
823
113
WRT MyQ- When I had my '24 Y the 10 yr sub for $300 was cheaper than getting the HomeLink for one car AND it isn't tied to the car. So I'm a sucker :) I was even able to use it on the loaner S I had. In 10 years I prolly won't be driving anymore, god willing.
Aren't there phone options like this? Where you get a new phone every year and never 'own' a phone? Phones aren't equal to cars though.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ALIEN SUPERSTAR

TESLASUPERFAN

Active member
Aug 27, 2024
768
92
28
Canada/USA
www.youtube.com
That's a scare tactic or the way of the future-own nothing and subscribe for the fun features. Competition will acquire their own version of UFSD, offer it a discount, maybe even price it to own. Either way, there will be plenty of NON-Tesla EV's that will have free auto-pilot or a lite version of FSD.

Soon, every car manufacturer (ICE CARS, EV's) will all jump on board the FSD train......so we can assume auto-pilot might be phased out COMPLETELY with all vehicles.

Why desire AP when U can get UFSD for free-trust me, competition will be fierce, which results in price wars and who's offering the most for the least price.

m
 

RNHurt

Well-known member
Sep 17, 2022
448
358
63
Kentucky
Well, it looks like a Rivian will be my next vehicle. I've firmly been in the Tesla camp for years (decades?) and have glossed over quite a lot of the CEOs antics because I've always felt that the cars, and more importantly the software, have miles above everyone else. Not so much anymore. I get that some things are a subscription; I'm paying yearly for my premium connectivity. However, putting basic functionality behind a paywall is beyond the pale. Really, its just the last straw, in so many bundles of straw that have been coming out of Tesla corporate in the past 2 years.

I received a Rivian R2 preview yesterday and it looks like it checks all the boxes for me. Sure, I wish the software was better and I wish they had a "dealer" closer to me. But I think they've now passed Tesla in my brain as the better value and a better future. I'm sorry to say but I think Tesla's days as an automobile manufacturer are numbered. The only way to save them now is to do a clean sweep of the top management and the board and start over.
 

VoodooPriest

Active member
Nov 26, 2022
126
181
43
I don't know what my future holds, but it's unlikely to be another Tesla. I hope to retire in 2028 and possibly relocate to a place with a year-round moderate climate, in or outside the US. I also want to minimize and simplify my life during those years. If that pans out, a higher-end, self-driving car won't be necessary.

Who is going to begin making self-driving golf carts? :)
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
I'm also just now learning that Elon has been posting about also increasing the price of FSD. Whether that means supervised or a separate tier is yet to be determined, but if the price of FSD supervised increases by even $10 a month, I'm out as well. Shame really. Where I would previously recommend Tesla as an option to anyone interested in an EV, or having a tech forward car, I wouldn't recommend a Tesla anymore if this is the path they're taking. Competition can't come soon enough. Bring in the Chinese EVs!
 

TESLASUPERFAN

Active member
Aug 27, 2024
768
92
28
Canada/USA
www.youtube.com
Tesla Tiers: 1-supervised FSD: front seat, no banish/summon $99/m

Tier 2-unsupervised FSD: sit in back seat with banish/summon $199/m

FSD ownership gone, FSD transfers gone, autopilot gone, subscriptions is now the current offer.

Good news: BYD will be coming to Canada and their FSD and car prices will be cheaper.

Others will jump on board the FSD train so there will be a price war.

Ice cars and evs will all have FSD and most likely subscriptions.
 

VoodooPriest

Active member
Nov 26, 2022
126
181
43
I bought FSD outright when I bought my M3. In late 2021, there was no subscription, and I bought it hook, line, and sinker that Tesla would deliver for MY CAR. Not for 3 or 4 generations of hardware later. Whatever the future brings and whatever car I have then, I will never do a subscription.

Edit: To add, I would also not buy it outright again if offered by any manufacturer. Having been naive to all the factors back then, I could imagine a future where a maker conquers FSD completely, then there is a huge dust-up with the NTSA or whoever, and it gets banned for all. Who knows what will happen? I've learned a lot about the machinations of promises made and broken over the last 4 years.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RNHurt

TESLASUPERFAN

Active member
Aug 27, 2024
768
92
28
Canada/USA
www.youtube.com
Hmm Tesla and a few others are close to UFSD, so if one were to buy it b4 Feb 14…..u could save a ton of cash if u own it.

That’s if u want it with all the features or rent it via subscriptions for LIFE: $300/m.

Years from now everyone will offer UFSD….so u got 2 choices-save cash buy now or wait it out and subscribe for life.
 

joe_apxc

Well-known member
Feb 20, 2024
273
251
63
Hmm Tesla and a few others are close to UFSD, so if one were to buy it b4 Feb 14…..u could save a ton of cash if u own it.

That’s if u want it with all the features or rent it via subscriptions for LIFE: $300/m.

Years from now everyone will offer UFSD….so u got 2 choices-save cash buy now or wait it out and subscribe for life.
But if you buy now, you will get HW4 in your vehicle. Its not safe to say that it will match performance of UFSD in HW5 later - its more or less the same bet as HW3 owners did back then. It was already mentioned that they soon hit some hardware limits on HW4 with current (supervised!) FSD. Maybe even in a few years HW4 sits in the same boat of not knowing if they will be upgraded to HW5 or not
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal and RNHurt

TESLASUPERFAN

Active member
Aug 27, 2024
768
92
28
Canada/USA
www.youtube.com
But in 2 weeks ownership of FSD is gone—-IF UFSD arrives u save cash in long run. If u wait for HW5 u are going to pay for life. HW5 is the final chip.

HW4 and UFSD will be a gamble……how bad do u want it and how much are u willing to pay.

Feb 14 coming fast.
 
  • Like
Reactions: joe_apxc

joe_apxc

Well-known member
Feb 20, 2024
273
251
63
For me its clear that i won't pay for it as a subscription (i only have the package now because it was on the car already when i bought it second hand). If Tesla stays on its current path, my next vehicle won't be a Tesla. I'm not spending the money on a gamble with HW4. But as you say, everyone needs to know for themselves. If you want to stay with tesla, now is a good time to buy FSD lifetime Package as it will be gone after Feb 14
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal and RNHurt

joe_apxc

Well-known member
Feb 20, 2024
273
251
63
Provided u keep the car 4 years but the great features will only be available with HW5 vehicles.
I also have to say i would miss some handy features i have in my current car versus what the new cars offer. For example, i like to have a stick shift instead of shifting on the touch screen for parking maneuvers. Also, i like that my signal stalk also has other functionalities like wipers and high beams control where in new cars you can only signal with them. I tried the steering wheel button variant many times when i got loaners at service, and i just can't get along with them very well i have to say :D