Tesla’s pre owned vehicles show estimated range for THAT particular vehicle?

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,092
823
113
This may have been going on for a while, I haven’t looked at the pre-owned Teslas after getting my S last year.
That said- I was curious today as to which cars have FSD included, and what the most recent model year cars are available as pre-owned. So I pulled up the Tesla site, pre-owned cars, and noticed something really odd. Estimated ranges for same model year cars with the same wheels were different. So I clicked on the link for that estimate for one car and it says (IIUC) the range displayed on the page for a particular car is calculated FOR that car based on THAT car’s info / history. Which I would assume includes how it was driven.
That’s a nice feature and should ground some expectations. Holy cow are there swings in estimated ranges!
Also noticed- *NO* cars have FSD included anymore. So any trade ins have had it stripped.
I’m all for better info on car’s page. The first used 3 my partner bought was from Tesla and that was back when there were actual pix of that car! Which included a door sticker showing it had PPF :) .
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

TESLASUPERFAN

Active member
Aug 27, 2024
768
92
28
Canada/USA
www.youtube.com
Used cars and transparency do not go together. U buy used u get used problems, where as U buy new U get new issues but they are covered.

The luxury of buying new vs the low cost of buying used. Piece of mind vs wonder what that noise is, spill is, range and ultimately how much is it going to cost me.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
This may have been going on for a while, I haven’t looked at the pre-owned Teslas after getting my S last year.
That said- I was curious today as to which cars have FSD included, and what the most recent model year cars are available as pre-owned. So I pulled up the Tesla site, pre-owned cars, and noticed something really odd. Estimated ranges for same model year cars with the same wheels were different. So I clicked on the link for that estimate for one car and it says (IIUC) the range displayed on the page for a particular car is calculated FOR that car based on THAT car’s info / history. Which I would assume includes how it was driven.
That’s a nice feature and should ground some expectations. Holy cow are there swings in estimated ranges!
Also noticed- *NO* cars have FSD included anymore. So any trade ins have had it stripped.
I’m all for better info on car’s page. The first used 3 my partner bought was from Tesla and that was back when there were actual pix of that car! Which included a door sticker showing it had PPF :) .
Setting expectations early is also probably a good way to avoid lawsuits, warranty claims, or lemon law issues. That said, I feel like the entire mindset around buying a used EV needs to change in the general public's eye, because it is nothing like what buying a used ICE car is like.

When I buy a used ICE car, I immediately look at the mileage because I think, "How long do I have before I need a major repair or other big maintenance item?" Whereas with an EV I think "What is the degradation like, and how much range does it still get at that degradation?" instead of worrying about miles.
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,092
823
113
My partner pointed out that those estimates are prolly a result of how the car was driven too, so a new owner could do better with a lighter foot or by letting the car drive itself :) . That said- WHERE it lives prolly enters into the whole equation as well.
I suppose better information would be an estimate of kWh capacity but who would understand that?
 

TESLASUPERFAN

Active member
Aug 27, 2024
768
92
28
Canada/USA
www.youtube.com
Ya forget that u get a cool ev, no longer pollute the planet with tons of carbon monoxide, games, fireplace, tron, Santa mode, pin 2drive, 9 cameras, Fsd capable, faster than a cheetah, intuitive chat bot, phone app, customized sounds, virtual wraps, whisper quiet car that farts, with free cool updates every month…..just focus on the range of the battery.