Rivian and the NACS (North American Charging Standard)

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
Watching MKBHD talk about the Rivian R1S this morning I noticed that he mentioned that Rivian is really coming along; building trucks, building SUVs, and building out their charging network. At that moment I wished that Rivian had partnered with Tesla to use the NACS (re: Tesla connector). It would be mutually beneficial; Tesla would get government money to expand their network and Rivian would have access to the largest and best charging network on the planet. Hell, they could have even had "Rivian" branded superchargers. Paint them green and install them on in all the national parks and Cabela's / Dick's parking lots.

What do you think? Is it too late for a "new" automaker to change charging standards? Will anybody take Tesla up on their offer of NACS compatibility?

Reactions: Not a Tesla App

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
Sounds like a good idea. Since maybe only a dozen SC sites are 'open' to other vehicles right now it's not that enticing. Now, if Rivian could immediately get access to all the Tesla supercharger locations immediately then that would be a significant carrot to get them to install the NACS. Seems like the software on Tesla's side is ready for it.

Last I read the Rivian and maybe the Mach E both top out at 150kw charging? There was a rumor that Rivian was gonna install a bank of chargers in the Village of Oak Creek's Collective where there's a Supercharger already (commonly referred to as the Sedona SC). Instant access to the whole SC network would give Rivian an opportunity to keep working on production and not have to divert $$ for a charging network.

Just include instructions on how to PARK at the SC so you don't take up 2 stalls.

Reactions: RNHurt

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
Just include instructions on how to PARK at the SC so you don't take up 2 stalls.
Oh, darn, I didn't think about that. Where is the Rivian charge port? Hopefully it's somewhere accessible. Then again, maybe the new v4 Supercharger stations will have longer cables. And/Or the "Rivian" Supercharger stations could be reworked a bit to allow for trailers and such. A "normal" Supercharger would still charge a Rivian, you just might have to do a bit more work to make it happen.

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard