Not A Tesla App: global Tesla news or American Tesla news?

davx

New member
Nov 16, 2024
13
6
3
Toulon, France
I appreciate Not A Tesla App as a source of information about Tesla. Like many (dare I say, most?) Internet users in the world, I can read English in addition to my national language, so news websites in English or any other language I understand are a decent source of information — as long as they meet journalistic quality, and of course the topic is of interest to me. Such as Tesla.

In light of this personal context, which is most probably that of many other people as well, I would like to suggest that the redaction of NATA try to think and write from a position of "we, everyone" rather than of "we, Americans". Granted, Tesla is an American brand, like Mercedes is a German brand, but Tesla owners are actually all over the world — and perhaps more numerous "overseas" (among other American-centric terms) than in the US. So it would be relevant, and maybe also strategic, to address that lot, or at a minimum to acknowledge that reality of the media's readership.

To clarify, what I am asking for is not at all to cover the reality of Tesla-related interesting news happening in all countries. Firstly, because it's OK that the authors be concentrated in a same country, and secondly because NATA does already cover news happening everywhere, such as FSD in Europe, Tesla launching in Saudi Arabia, etc. So that's not an issue. What I'm merely asking for is rather to not assume the readers to live in the US. For example, Europe is not "abroad", "here" is not a thing, the NHTSA is absolutely not relevant to everybody, and tax credit coming up or down isn't global news. So maybe just differentiate US news from general news, and explicitly word out the former as local.

I wouldn't expect a discussion about US-non-centricity (or, to be fair, Paris-non-centricity or anywhere-non-centricity) to be incredibly well taken, but one never knows! So, what do you think?
 
Last edited:

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
768
758
93
I think that is a fair criticism. Perhaps they can label news like they do software updates to differentiate who it is relevant to? Like labeling it as US, EU, China, Global, etc. It seems like it would be a rather simple thing to implement, but I don't know exactly how it would be done.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ALIEN SUPERSTAR

davx

New member
Nov 16, 2024
13
6
3
Toulon, France
I think that is a fair criticism. Perhaps they can label news like they do software updates to differentiate who it is relevant to? Like labeling it as US, EU, China, Global, etc. It seems like it would be a rather simple thing to implement, but I don't know exactly how it would be done.
Yes, categorisation is indeed one aspect of it.

But then again, it's also about whom you are writing for. For instance, if articles labelled with "EU" or "Netherlands" get a "they"/"there" while US label are written from "we"/"here", the point would be missed. I often see phrasing like "in Europe, this and that are different" (from where?).
 

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
3,474
408
83
I appreciate Not A Tesla App as a source of information about Tesla. Like many (dare I say, most?) Internet users in the world, I can read English in addition to my national language, so news websites in English or any other language I understand are a decent source of information — as long as they meet journalistic quality, and of course the topic is of interest to me. Such as Tesla.

In light of this personal context, which is most probably that of many other people as well, I would like to suggest that the redaction of NATA try to think and write from a position of "we, everyone" rather than of "we, Americans". Granted, Tesla is an American brand, like Mercedes is a German brand, but Tesla owners are actually all over the world — and perhaps more numerous "overseas" (among other American-centric terms) than in the US. So it would be relevant, and maybe also strategic, to address that lot, or at a minimum to acknowledge that reality of the media's readership.

To clarify, what I am asking for is not at all to cover the reality of Tesla-related interesting news happening in all countries. Firstly, because it's OK that the authors be concentrated in a same country, and secondly because NATA does already cover news happening everywhere, such as FSD in Europe, Tesla launching in Saudi Arabia, etc. So that's not an issue. What I'm merely asking for is rather to not assume the readers to live in the US. For example, Europe is not "abroad", "here" is not a thing, the NHTSA is absolutely not relevant to everybody, and tax credit coming up or down isn't global news. So maybe just differentiate US news from general news, and explicitly word out the former as local.

I wouldn't expect a discussion about US-non-centricity (or, to be fair, Paris-non-centricity or anywhere-non-centricity) to be incredibly well taken, but one never knows! So, what do you think?
Good feedback. Thank you!
 
  • Like
Reactions: ALIEN SUPERSTAR