Model X battery degradation 11% after 6 months

Fadi

Sep 25, 2023
Hi everyone,

I got my Model X LR 5 seaters in April 2023, and it's supposed to have a range of 350 miles on a full charge. However, after only 6 months, I'm only getting 302 miles, which is a degradation of almost 11%. Is this acceptable or normal? Should I be concerned?

I've been doing some research and I've seen that Tesla batteries typically experience an initial drop in range within the first few months of ownership. However, I'm not sure if 11% is within the normal range.

Here are some things I've been doing that might have contributed to the battery degradation:

• I've been charging my car to 90% every 2 days.
  • I have never used fast charging.
  • I've been driving in hot weather 105f .
I'm not sure if any of these things are causing the battery degradation, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to prevent it from getting worse. or if anyone else has experienced similar battery degradation with their Tesla Model X.

Any advice would be appreciated.

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
11% is definitely not normal. Yes, Tesla's tend to lose range at first but the numbers are more like 5-7%. However, you have to be careful about how you are measuring range. Just going by how far you can drive the car is not a very good way to determine battery health. There are a lot of variables (weather, driving patterns, etc.) that can change how far you can drive the car on a daily basis, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there is a problem with the battery. The things you've been doing sound reasonable, though depending on what cells chemistry you have charging to 90% might not be recommended.

If you're concerned about battery health I would suggest signing up for a 3rd party monitoring system (TeslaFi seems to be popular). They have systems in place that can more closely measure battery performance and will give you a better picture of what is going on with your car. Is does take some time to gather the information and it's not free (but I think it's pretty cheap) but the data you get out of it is pretty good.

That said, according to Tesla, your car has a "minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period." If it ever falls below that (and some cars do) they will replace the battery.

Fadi

Sep 25, 2023
11% is definitely not normal. Yes, Tesla's tend to lose range at first but the numbers are more like 5-7%. However, you have to be careful about how you are measuring range. Just going by how far you can drive the car is not a very good way to determine battery health. There are a lot of variables (weather, driving patterns, etc.) that can change how far you can drive the car on a daily basis, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there is a problem with the battery. The things you've been doing sound reasonable, though depending on what cells chemistry you have charging to 90% might not be recommended.

If you're concerned about battery health I would suggest signing up for a 3rd party monitoring system (TeslaFi seems to be popular). They have systems in place that can more closely measure battery performance and will give you a better picture of what is going on with your car. Is does take some time to gather the information and it's not free (but I think it's pretty cheap) but the data you get out of it is pretty good.

That said, according to Tesla, your car has a "minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period." If it ever falls below that (and some cars do) they will replace the battery.
Hi RNHurt,

Thank you so much for your reply. I got the percentage from the Tesla service center, and they said it's within the normal range. However, as you said, 11% is not normal, so I had to ask here.

Reactions: RNHurt

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
I believe they recommend charging to 80% unless you need more.
Also- there's a way to 'recalibrate' the battery, or at least there was in the past. That involves running it down to very low state of charge and then charging to 100%. Who knows if that works with all the variation of batteries Tesla has out. Also that's a PITA to do but you can try it of course.

Best to switch to % and just don't worry about it. The car will tell you if you have real battery problems. How that miles # is calculated is beyond any of us and prolly beyond most Tesla employees.

moortime

Aug 14, 2023
I wish the energy screen would show start miles ,miles driven, miles used.
So you could get a better idea without old school pencil and paper. My 2023 is much better than the 2021. That screen was useless.

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
But it's never 'miles used' it's always kWh used. Thinking in miles is totally misleading because one way trips are never level and never gonna add up properly. When I go to Phoenix from Prescott I use 25% of my Y's battery. On the way back I use 50%. That's better information than I used 50 miles to go 100 and 200 miles to come back. There are stretches where the speed limit is 75MPH and that kills MPG and wh/mile in either direction. It does get you there quickly though :) .
What we really need is more accurate estimation of energy used! Coming up the hill back home the estimate can be off by 5% from the start. Same going down hill but that's less of an issue.