Model X and S to be discontinued in Q2 2026!

RNHurt

Well-known member
Sep 17, 2022
448
358
63
Kentucky
Telsa (Elon) just announced that the Model X and S will be discontinued in Q2 2026. The space in the Fremont factory that was dedicated to these two models will be converted to Optimus production.

There goes my hope of owning another Tesla vehicle. I really loved my MY when I had it but the MX has showed me the "premium" light and I"m not sure I could go back to not having the door open for me, or have the sidelights come on when I turn the wheel. It sounds stupid, but I'm really enjoying the thrill of opening the FWDs on the MX and it surprised people. I guess I just like unusual cars; which the 3 and Y are definitely not.

Oh well, on to Rivian I guess. I know I give up a lot but it seems like they have the best outlook as an actual car company that I would like to support. The Slate looks very interesting and I'm hoping the TELO makes a splash. However, I need interior space for grandkids and a pure truck just doesn't seem like the right fit for me.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
The cars that started it all, and instead of giving them the love and attention they needed in the form of a proper refresh, they discontinued them. What a shame, I loved my recent test drive of the 2026 Model S. It just needed some extra things to make them really stand out, and to better compete in their price segments and attract more buyers.

Likewise, I don't think the hard focus they have on FSD/AI and robotics is going to pay off how they think it will. People just aren't as easily sold on autonomy, let alone robotics that most people likely won't benefit from or be able to afford.
 
Last edited:

RNHurt

Well-known member
Sep 17, 2022
448
358
63
Kentucky
It was interesting to read the comments of the Tesla management team when it comes to vehicles. They are all fully sold on the idea that people hate to drive and everyone would rather just sit and let the car do everything. Multiple times they mentioned that most drives are only a single person and a short distance, so obviously those people want to be chauffeured around and not engage in life at all. WTF!?

I drive to drive! I love getting on the road and turning on the music and just enjoying the trip. In fact, I regularly drive 500+ miles rather than get on a plane. It takes about the same time, but I can choose the music (and turn it up loud), stop anytime I want, etc. Give me an interesting car any day of the week! And I know there are more people like me out there, and those people are probably the ones that purchased an S or X. High performance, lots of bells and whistles, neat features (i.e. FWD), etc.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are a lot of instances where a self driving vehicle comes in very handy. My elderly mother would probably do very well with a car coming to pick her up in the morning to take her to breakfast. Then again, she loves talking to people and would probably be more happy with a neighborhood bus or van with 2 or 3 others in it.

I think Tesla management has completely lost sight of what they started out doing. They have bought fully into automation and anything that doesn't support that vision is to be discarded like yesterdays trash. I really wish that Tesla would have spun off the Optimus stuff into it's own company and left the car and power markets alone. :cry:
 

KRS1983

Member
Apr 2, 2023
63
57
18
The cars that started it all, and instead of giving them the love and attention they needed in the form of a proper refresh, they discontinued them. What a shame, I loved my recent test drive of the 2026 Model S. It just needed some extra things to make them really stand out, and to better compete in their price segments and attract more buyers.

Likewise, I don't think the hard focus they have on FSD/AI and robotics is going to pay off how they think it will. People just aren't as easily sold on autonomy, let alone robotics that most people likely won't benefit from or be able to afford.
I don't think the robotic endgame is putting robots in homes. There's not enough people globally in the middle class who can sustain that demand. The endgame is putting them in factories. For example to give US companies a decisive edge to compete with cheap labor (almost slave labor) of China. Robo taxies don't just go after taxis and Ubers. They are going after the next generation of young people who don't want or can't afford the rising cost of the convenience of car ownership (insurance and maintenance). They are targeting the global inconveniences of public transportation in increasingly crowded cities that make people choose to buy a car today. They are going after the pillars of all those trillion dollar global industries (auto insurance, car manufacturers, public transportation and factory labor). Our millions of beloved Tesla's were just data collectors mapping the world we navigate and negotiate every day. The same way Google's search engine and Facebook capture untapped human interests and monetized curated human insights and sentiment like never before, Tesla's cameras did the same information curation in the world we negotiate. That's my 2 cent theory.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
I don't think the robotic endgame is putting robots in homes. There's not enough people globally in the middle class who can sustain that demand. The endgame is putting them in factories. For example to give US companies a decisive edge to compete with cheap labor (almost slave labor) of China. Robo taxies don't just go after taxis and Ubers. They are going after the next generation of young people who don't want or can't afford the rising cost of the convenience of car ownership (insurance and maintenance). They are targeting the global inconveniences of public transportation in increasingly crowded cities that make people choose to buy a car today. They are going after the pillars of all those trillion dollar global industries (auto insurance, car manufacturers, public transportation and factory labor). Our millions of beloved Tesla's were just data collectors mapping the world we navigate and negotiate every day. The same way Google's search engine and Facebook capture untapped human interests and monetized curated human insights and sentiment like never before, Tesla's cameras did the same information curation in the world we negotiate. That's my 2 cent theory.
I'm not doubting their ambitions or goals. What I'm doubting is the transition, meaning how they think this actually plays out in the real world, and how fast they think people will accept it. Sure, some people will accept the changes with "open arms," but a lot more will see it as losing the ability to own things, losing control, or being replaced. That social and political friction is not a small footnote, it is the main bottleneck.

Think for a moment about what was said during the earnings call, specifically around universal basic income and the idea that people will be "taken care of" in a robot-heavy economy. How does that work in practice? Who owns the robots, and who captures the value they produce? If the answer is that people buy a stake in robotic ownership and then get paid from robot labor, then you are basically saying most people will need capital to replace wages. Realistically, that means the people with more capital buy more robots, earn more, and scale faster. And if robot services become commoditized, it turns into a race to the bottom on pricing where scale wins, not the average person.

Likewise with autonomous vehicles, you will have people in major or dense cities who will happily accept them, either as a replacement for public transit or as a convenience upgrade. But you will also have a lot of people who want that convenience and cannot afford it. If transportation shifts from ownership to access, and access is subscription-based or pay-per-use, that can easily become a two-tier system where mobility improves for some and becomes more expensive or less reliable for everyone else.

Call me a skeptic or pessimist, but I just don't believe it will play out the way they think it will, or at least not happen as quickly as they are hoping. What they are doing is taking a massive gamble, which, to their credit, is how they started out and it worked out decently well. But what they are aiming for now requires (what I would consider) a massive paradigm shift in economics, policy, and public acceptance. That kind of shift usually takes years, if not decades.
 

TESLASUPERFAN

Active member
Aug 27, 2024
772
92
28
Canada/USA
www.youtube.com
Aside from dancing-what can the robot do better, safer, faster, cleaner, etc than a human.

How long does it take to charge, how long does battery last, how much can it lift, how does it perform in sub zero temps.

Can it change a diaper, climb a ladder, scoop dog poop, be used as a security guard and apply force if needed, fix a flat tire, decorate a christmas tree, put up halloween decorations, cook a dinner, mop, sweep, pick up a marble, glue things that are broke, grocery shop, pick up drive thru coffee, mow the lawn, shovel snow, salt the driveway,etc,etc

Enough with the robot dances or robot putting random shaped wooded blocks in a large wooded box videos.

Lets see real life scenarios, actual charge times, lift capacities, is it water proof, price, subscription price-what do u get
 
  • Like
Reactions: joe_apxc and RNHurt

VoodooPriest

Active member
Nov 26, 2022
126
181
43
I guess I'm not a futurist. Humanoid robots == Fail. The use cases are Musk's wildass and stupid ideas. Factories already use robotics effectively. They don't need to resemble a human. As far as the home is concerned, rich people's novelty.
 

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Well-known member
Oct 17, 2023
296
275
63
California
I guess I'm not a futurist. Humanoid robots == Fail. The use cases are Musk's wildass and stupid ideas. Factories already use robotics effectively. They don't need to resemble a human. As far as the home is concerned, rich people's novelty.
i thought Marques Brownlee (MKBHD) had a great point on this. he said something to the effect of, the human form is so limited, so why would we create a robot in our image just to give it those same limitations? i did not give it a quote because that’s not exactly what he said, but it was on that same idea.
 

KRS1983

Member
Apr 2, 2023
63
57
18
Aside from dancing-what can the robot do better, safer, faster, cleaner, etc than a human.

How long does it take to charge, how long does battery last, how much can it lift, how does it perform in sub zero temps.

Can it change a diaper, climb a ladder, scoop dog poop, be used as a security guard and apply force if needed, fix a flat tire, decorate a christmas tree, put up halloween decorations, cook a dinner, mop, sweep, pick up a marble, glue things that are broke, grocery shop, pick up drive thru coffee, mow the lawn, shovel snow, salt the driveway,etc,etc

Enough with the robot dances or robot putting random shaped wooded blocks in a large wooded box videos.

Lets see real life scenarios, actual charge times, lift capacities, is it water proof, price, subscription price-what do u get
I would add don't underestimate what these robots can eventually do. A few years ago I couldn't imagine a car without ultrasonic sensors using only vision to navigate complex and dangerous traffic situations. I figured humans can't crunch enough code to make these cars fluid and fast enough in such chaotic traffic scenarios. I was right..humans can't but AI chips being fed millions of videos fills in the blanks coders could never achieve. My point is these dancing robots will be connected to neural AI networks always learning. Your Tesla didn't gain it's driving experience from driving every street. It only needed access to networks and updates to become more skilled. There's probably some formula for how much sampling a Tesla or robot needs for it to increment its "IQ" score. Folks with bigger brains the I probably have that figured out similar to Moore's Law.

Similarly cultural analyst and linguist dismissed the potential that computers couldn't do much more than translate language. They figured a computer could never achieve a level of reliable utility in the inference of sentiment in a chat group on social media. However given enough conversations for a given culture perhaps billions of public chats on social media these computers are close to push button sentiment analysis. Just imagine if the pilgrams had such a means to influence Native Americans...lol

That said I recall Elon mentioned how they observed Tesla FSD taking on "bad habits" as a consequence of feeding videos of drivers doing things like doing rolling stops at a stop sign. And I think that's sign of where all this AI robot stuff goes down a very dark road (no pun)