How Tesla's Powerwall carried me through Hurricane Ian

Corey2002

Sep 14, 2022
I'm curious what used so much power overnight that kept bringing your charge down to 40% when most of the house had been unplugged

Nakatomi2010

Oct 2, 2022
I'm curious what used so much power overnight that kept bringing your charge down to 40% when most of the house had been unplugged
I've been slowly making my house a "smart home" over the last couple years or so.

All of my light switches have been replaced with Meross WiFi switches, for example. I had the kids charging their mobile devices, I had accidentally left a ceiling fan on in a room. The fan in question is a "smart fan" which has WiFi in it (It's actually a Raspberry Pi 4 that the vendor is using to control the fan, which made me chuckle).

We kept the ceiling fan on in the master bedroom, as well as a little tower fan to provide air circulation. The fridge and freezer would cycle on/off from time to time.

It was just a lot of little things. A "lesson learned" from this is that I need to work on a "Power's out" process that can kill most of the power hungry stuff in a hurry. Would need to be in "stages" though. Like "Hurricane is coming - If power is lost, kill all now", versus "Power has been out for 30-60 minutes, start shutting off non-essentials."

There's always something.

A Gen2 Powerwall is also only a 10kWh battery inside. The Gen 3s are like 14kWh, so I get less run time on the one 2018 Powerwall compared to a newer 2022 Powerwall.