Hard Acceleration

acmem

Mar 27, 2024
I’m annoyed by the hard acceleration from a stop sign or stop light. It races up to the posted speed limit and then breaks hard to not exceed the limit. I’m on 2024.3.15 using FSD.

The other day it was raining and the tires slightly slipped. Not good at all. Can’t imagine what will happen come winter 😬

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
In general acceleration, even in soft mode, should be a lot softer. You're stuck in a half-an-hour queue almost to a full halt, the last thing you want to have is a car aggressively pushing you for a split second right before braking, all within 10-20 km/h differences.

Reactions: ALIEN SUPERSTAR

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Oct 17, 2023
I experienced this as well when we were simply down the street from my house at the mail box i engaged FSD and it sped at full speed you to 30 then hardly braked to 25 on our residential street. I was pretty annoyed, so i tried just engaging chill mode in steering and pedals whenever i use FSD and it works fine.

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
I experienced this as well when we were simply down the street from my house at the mail box i engaged FSD and it sped at full speed you to 30 then hardly braked to 25 on our residential street. I was pretty annoyed, so i tried just engaging chill mode in steering and pedals whenever i use FSD and it works fine.
It does it regardless of the acceleration mode. And I keep it 99% of the time on "soft" (that's what I believe you mean by "chill"), still it accelerates too fast when the car ahead moves just few feets away to another full stop. Steering doesn't relate, I kept it "normal" on the 2022 M3 and now I keep it on Sport on the highland, because all other modes are too "flimsy" to be driveable.

acmem

Mar 27, 2024
It does it regardless of the acceleration mode. And I keep it 99% of the time on "soft" (that's what I believe you mean by "chill"), still it accelerates too fast when the car ahead moves just few feets away to another full stop. Steering doesn't relate, I kept it "normal" on the 2022 M3 and now I keep it on Sport on the highland, because all other modes are too "flimsy" to be driveable.

That’s correct. Same here. I have tried all modes and combinations and they have no affect on the acceleration. The only way to avoid hard accelerations is to manually put a low speed setting like 20 Mph. Then creep it up to whatever mph you want. But that would defeat the whole object of FSD. If you have to do all that, you ought as well go manual.

acmem

Mar 27, 2024
I have seen this type of compliant a lot, but then, you have people who like that type of hard acceleration from a stop! I’m waiting for them to add a function that you can choose the type of acceleration you want. Sort of like the distance following which I have found works marginally!! It has a mind of its own no matter what setting you put; assertive, normal or chill. Only on chill it seems to maintain a far distance from the car in front. 🤷🏽‍♂️

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
I set it to 10 km/h in queues... just to avoid looking like the regular, drunk driver. As for "you have people who like that type of hard acceleration from a stop", yes there are lots of weirdos out there, but this is about safety. If a taxi driver drove like this, I would asking him to pull over and get another.

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Oct 17, 2023
No I definitely keep it on "Chill" not sure what software your running but it has always been chill (at least for me). As for it not affecting the hard accels i surprised it hasn't worked for anyone else, it still tends to brake to hard for comfort but after many hard accel deactivations and brief summary reports it hasn't done it in a while. I'm am wondering if deactivations and reaching a destination with no interventions is like a reward system. Deactivations are bad no interventions good.

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Perhaps "chill" in the US market has been renamed "soft" in EU.

The point is not about how fast it accelerates, but rather about how needlessly it does. In a queue it should just "creep" and only accelerate when the car preceding becomes distant, predicting its speed. Instead it just "jumps" straight to a speed which requires a hard breaking in a span of a second, defeating the purpose of autopilot, up to the point I wish it could just keep the lane itself and letting me control the distance. But no way, I just have to go full manual.

On Mercedes, BMW, Audi, other brands, even some rental French brands, never had these issues.

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Oct 17, 2023
Perhaps "chill" in the US market has been renamed "soft" in EU.

The point is not about how fast it accelerates, but rather about how needlessly it does. In a queue it should just "creep" and only accelerate when the car preceding becomes distant, predicting its speed. Instead it just "jumps" straight to a speed which requires a hard breaking in a span of a second, defeating the purpose of autopilot, up to the point I wish it could just keep the lane itself and letting me control the distance. But no way, I just have to go full manual.

On Mercedes, BMW, Audi, other brands, even some rental French brands, never had these issues.
That makes sense, and you are right the point is it needlessly does it.

moortime

Aug 14, 2023
I’m annoyed by the hard acceleration from a stop sign or stop light. It races up to the posted speed limit and then breaks hard to not exceed the limit. I’m on 2024.3.15 using FSD.

The other day it was raining and the tires slightly slipped. Not good at all. Can’t imagine what will happen come winter 😬
I have not had that issue at all 2023 X lr.i drive with FSD all the time