FSD Weirdness

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
Has anyone experienced FSD preferring to stay to the left of the lane on this new version (FSD V14.2.1.25)?

I've noticed that for some reason it tends to stay pretty far to the left in the lane, but never really going over the line.

I made sure to clean my cameras, and even did a camera calibration reset, but it still seems to have the same behavior. Am I just imagining it, or is this something you guys have experienced as well?
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,092
823
113
Not yet. First read of what you posted I was thought you said ‘left lane’ and I was going to say yes. It camps on Standard and should not! I’ll have to pay more attention.
Is that on straightaways, multi lane roads, just on turns?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
Not yet. First read of what you posted I was thought you said ‘left lane’ and I was going to say yes. It camps on Standard and should not! I’ll have to pay more attention.
Is that on straightaways, multi lane roads, just on turns?
It's basically anywhere as far as I can tell. But it is definitely more noticeable on straight multi-lane roads. I haven't experienced the left lane camping, though, it does tend to not go fast enough to pass quickly on standard.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
As a sidenote, I think when the car is 'camping the left lane' it is actually running into a similar issue as lane hesitation. Obviously, I have no way of confirming this since I'm not the Tesla AI team and don't know how the FSD model is trained.

But what I can say is that when FSD seems to stay in the left lane too long, it feels almost like it sees the cars ahead that are going ever so slightly slower and thinks "I'll stay here in this lane until I pass them and then move over". Even if that means that it is passing cars at less than 1 to 2 MPH, and it takes ages to pass them. I would compare it to when a semi on an interstate is passing another semi, but one is doing 68 MPH and the other is doing 70 or 71 MPH.

I could be entirely wrong and overthinking it, but this seems like the most logical reason that it would camp in the left lane. And this is exasperated by the lane hesitation issue where the car seemingly doesn't want to switch lanes even with ample room if there is another car speeding up next to it, or if a car 2 lanes over may look like it might merge into the same lane.

Long explanation, but I hope it's easy to understand, lol.
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,092
823
113
After a trip out to Sedona and back (120 miles total I think) I noticed a few things-
I didn’t see any tendency to lean to one side of a lane, unless there’s a curve in the road or passing a car / getting passed by something large.
I *think* there’s different behavior on State Route roads vs State Highways. Even though there really isn’t a difference. Maybe? I forget now, but one thing I am sure of - it did better with speed limit zones. Even though the displayed SL showed 35 after passing 45MPH signs it drove like it was 45. When approaching a drop in the SL the car sometimes reacted quicker than others, still haven’t figured that out.
Of course- by the time we figure out all the nuances in behavior the next version will come out and confound us again! Can’t wait :) .
That lane change hesitation is still there, and I can not figure out why it happens in one instance but not another. Strange.
Bring on 14.3!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,092
823
113
After a down and out to Tempe for over 200 miles -
The car is *still* displaying 35MPH after passing (and displaying them go by) 45MPH SL signs on Hwy 69 BUT- when that happened it did drive like the SL was 45. So that's good, weird, but better.
I'm still seeing the car in the left lane unnecessarily driving on Standard. Standard also seems to be going 7 over in spots where it only did 5 over before. Chill doesn't maintain the SL which is annoying if you JUST WANT TO DO THE SL because 75 is already fast enough. There was a spot on I17 where the car displayed 65MPH long before the SL dropped to 65. Not a huge deal but odd.
There was enough traffic on the way down to keep us under the SL on I17 most of the time, the 3 did fine here.
One really REALLY weird thing - We arrived in Tempe using 8% Less than predicted by the Nav. That's kinda huge over 110+ miles. On the way back we arrived at home less than 1% less than predicted.
The car did miss a turn onto loop 202 by choosing one of the few lanes that DID not go onto that hwy, it did use the HOV lanes otherwise but it seemed to get into the left lane next to the HOV lane but never chose it (HOV exit lane with solid white line). No biggie as we just went a different route but strange.
The bail-on-the-first-try lane change was still there where the signal stays on and the car eventually moves over. There were plenty of decisive lane changes too. So weird again.
Parking- we didn't try as I found a spot in front of us as it was lining up to back into a spot. Seemed like the pull in stop in front was wider and more empty around it so I chose it.
Great ride as usually, the car did move over to avoid a couple things at 70MPH but it felt controlled, reasonable and NOT jarring.
So 'odd' and 'weird' sum up this version, looking forward to the .2.2 version being tested.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
I finally remembered to take a picture of the lane issue I’m seeing. And the funny part is that in the picture it isn’t even as bad as it normally is. Sometimes it will get right up to the line, but not go over. I’m starting to think I might have a camera alignment issue, but that’s weird because I did a camera calibration with this version due to that behavior. I’m hoping 14.2.2 fixes it for me.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5511.jpeg
    IMG_5511.jpeg
    783.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Like
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,092
823
113
I see what you are saying there. Unrelated- What’s up with the lane to the left of you? I’ve never seen double white lines depicted like that!
I suppose you could do a camera alignment if you have time to do it. That kind of behavior reminds me of something that used to happen a few versions ago IIRC.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
I see what you are saying there. Unrelated- What’s up with the lane to the left of you? I’ve never seen double white lines depicted like that!
I suppose you could do a camera alignment if you have time to do it. That kind of behavior reminds me of something that used to happen a few versions ago IIRC.
Yeah, I actually recall the update that did that a while ago as well, but it didn't happen for a while, so I thought they had fixed it. That is the frustrating part, that I don't know if it's hardware related or if it's software related. Taking it in for service is certainly an option, but I'm concerned that they may charge me for some unforeseen issue or something if it isn't under warranty.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

Joewat64

New member
Sep 28, 2025
1
2
0
Funny you mention this. When Im on certain residential roads mine actually stays on the right sode of the lane. Really close to the curb. But not all roads and never on highways. Strange. Wondering if its more related to Map Data?
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
Funny you mention this. When Im on certain residential roads mine actually stays on the right sode of the lane. Really close to the curb. But not all roads and never on highways. Strange. Wondering if its more related to Map Data?
I hear you, and I'm honestly at a loss at this point. Sometimes or even some days it seems to do it more frequently, and then other times it seems like it doesn't happen at all. It is really weird, but either way, I did end up scheduling a service center visit to have it looked into. My appointment is tomorrow, where I will be getting the free camera cleaning done, and I specifically opened a concern describing it as "FSD struggles to stay centered in lane". I'll report back if they say anything interesting, but I'm guessing that they will just shrug and say something like "it's just a software bug" or something along those lines. Which fair play to them, since it would be impossible to really know if it is software or hardware related.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
Interesting development in this situation. I am at the service center, and upon arriving the tech immediately walked over to my car and went into service mode after looking at my reason for the visit. He specifically pointed out an active alert that could “potentially” be related to my issue. Here I will share a screenshot of the active alert, and keep you guys posted on any further developments.


 
  • Wow
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
Update

So I finished up at the service center. In the end, it was more or less what I expected, and I took some screenshots of the completed service to show their findings and conclusions to the issues. Upon finishing the service appointment, I had a notification to reinstall the latest 2025.45.7 update with FSD v14.2.2.2 again. Since I knew this was going to take a bit, I decided to stick around the service center and went for a demo drive of the refreshed Model S (it was amazing, and don't understand how it isn't more popular). After completing the update and concluding my demo drive, I drove with FSD active the entire way back home, which was a mix of mostly city with only a bit of highway driving. I didn't notice it having the same behavior of hugging either side of the lane, but it was a pretty short 20-minute drive, so it's hard to come to a final verdict if it is actually fixed or not. From that short drive, it did seem to perform better, and I'm assuming that this has to do with the camera cleaning they did, plus the reinstallation of the software. I didn't need to recalibrate the cameras or anything, which I found somewhat odd, but I guess it wasn't necessary. Overall, a pretty quick service visit. Will update again if I notice the same weird behavior happening or if anything changes. But I'm willing to bet that this is likely just one of those weird bugs that appears from time to time in FSD. As a small side note, I did get an express visit pass in the case that I notice any issues, and they recommended I bring the car back if it pops up again for further diagnostics.

IMG_5620.PNGIMG_5621.PNG
 
  • Like
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard