FSD Pricing is uneven

Karoshi

Member
Sep 3, 2023
23
27
13
So I used to have a 2017 Model S with FSD, had it since then, it really only started to work somewhat on v12.6.4, everything before that was kinds iffy.

That car was totalled and I have a new 2020 Model S , HW3 and the 3 month FSD has just expired, so now my options are buy FSD for $8k and "hope" they do a v14 lite version, but it will always be underpowered compared to a HW4 vehicle.

It seems unfair that HW3 FSD is the same price as HW4 FSD, as they are clearly very different.

I know some people will say that the cars are different but my 2020 Model S was more expensive than a 2025 Model Y (Girlfriend just not like the Model Y)

So there you have it.

By the time FSD on HW3 is resolved it will probably be time to upgrade again and since I always purchase vehicels a couple of years old, I won't be able to transfer, yet again.

Seems all screwed up at the moment.

FSD on HW should be $5k, pay $3k later if they need to do a hardware swap
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,092
823
113
Yup.
Tesla should offer you $8k more for HW3 car being traded in when it has FSD paid for. IMO. Currently it's worth about $4k. In the mean time- drive that 2020 until the wheels come off :) . HW4 cars are gonna feel some pain in a couple years, it's the nature of the beast.
 

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Well-known member
Oct 17, 2023
296
275
63
California
this something that i will continue to say until tesla does it.😭 why is FSD 8K/$99 for a version that is not the newest or the most capable?? it’s ridiculous and not good business strategy, but then again tesla seems to fly by hope rather than business.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

K.I.T.T.

Well-known member
Mar 26, 2024
501
339
63
Italy
this something that i will continue to say until tesla does it.😭 why is FSD 8K/$99 for a version that is not the newest or the most capable?? it’s ridiculous and not good business strategy, but then again tesla seems to fly by hope rather than business.
And it gets worse on a country-by-country basis, other than by HW version. You can see that crystallized in the recent updates. I don't even look at them any longer, as for months there hasn't been anything relevant in my release notes... only "minor fixes", 3D buildings (which I had in 2020, still I don't get that). And the unforgettable Tron b*llsh*t.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ALIEN SUPERSTAR

TESLASUPERFAN

Active member
Aug 27, 2024
768
92
28
Canada/USA
www.youtube.com
Every car on the planet has new features that last years models don’t have. HW3 is maxed out, of course FSD is gonna be better on new HW4 and it will be better on HW5 vehicles but everyone pays the same price.

U pay more for newer models and with that u get new features.

FSD is an add on, it operates slightly differently on each model/year.