Discuss: With Tesla Ending FSD Purchases, Should You Buy It Now? Pros and Cons List

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
I imagine, and would hope, that if they truly want FSD subscriber numbers to increase, they won't be increasing the price of supervised FSD. As it stands, I can certainly see them asking for more money for unsupervised FSD, but even so, like I mentioned in the other post, I would hope that it would not be more than $200 a month.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ALIEN SUPERSTAR

TESLASUPERFAN

Active member
Aug 27, 2024
768
92
28
Canada/USA
www.youtube.com
UFSD-may or may not ARRIVE in 2027-28, if they do finally figure it out-every other car company will have THEIR own version and I see lots offering it for FREE.

I see it only available for HW5 vehicles, so I doesnt make ANY sense to buy now if there are NO HW5 vehicles for sale.

People don't want a bunch of subscriptions to turn on the seat heater, engage FSD, activate grok, listen to pod casts, etc.

The competition will offer these features for free with the purchase of a premium trim or offer it FREE for 3 months or at a discounted rate. I see price wars with all the manufacturers, good for business.

M
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,092
823
113
I feel like this decision could very well have increased the value of all currently owned cars with FSD purchased.
At some point UFSD will become a commodity, after all that work to get it right. That point is far in the future as every manufacturer hunts down those pesky 9s.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
A thought I had after posting my original comment, and I’m not sure why it didn’t occur to me sooner: if Tesla raises the price of supervised FSD, I’m almost certain they’ll lose a lot of subscribers, and they probably won’t gain many new ones (at least not quickly). For me, the FSD subscription basically functions like part of my monthly car payment. It’s not astronomical, but it’s not cheap either, and it’s one of my biggest recurring expenses right after rent.

If supervised FSD jumps by, say, $100/month (and if unsupervised ends up being something like $300/month more), that’s going to turn a lot of people off. Think about someone who just bought or leased a Model 3 or Y and is already paying $500 to $700/month. Now add another $100 to $300 on top of that for FSD, before you even factor in insurance and charging costs (yes, usually cheaper than gas, but still a real monthly expense unless you have solar). A “$500/month” car quickly becomes $600 or more depending on which FSD option you want, and that’s a tough sell for most people.

Like I said before, if the goal is to increase take rates, raising the price of supervised FSD is the opposite of the right move. I can understand unsupervised being priced higher, but even then I can’t see it being widely adopted if it’s much above about $200 to $250/month. Most people simply aren’t going to pay that on top of an already existing car payment.

Right now, we’re seeing longer loan terms and more flexible leases for a reason: people want lower monthly payments, not higher. Adding FSD into the monthly total is already a hurdle. Making it significantly more expensive just makes that problem worse.

Sorry for the rant. I just really hope they don’t raise the price of supervised FSD. In hindsight, I wish I’d bought it outright when I purchased the car, but that’s not an option for me anymore.
 
Last edited:

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,092
823
113
From what I have read / heard the goal is to have a reliable recurring revenue stream. No one has said anything about raising the cost. I really doubt they would do that, unless there become more flavors of UFSD. Who knows.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
From what I have read / heard the goal is to have a reliable recurring revenue stream. No one has said anything about raising the cost. I really doubt they would do that, unless there become more flavors of UFSD. Who knows.
I get that, and especially being that part of Elon's pay package is banking on more FSD subscribers. But it still doesn't rule out a price increase, especially with little to no competition in the consumer space.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
in the not too distant future--every car manufacturer will have FSD and tons will have it for FREE and lots will be better.
Free? Doubtful, it will either be included in the price of the car at a certain tier (which technically means not free), or will be an additional option/upgrade/subscription. These things have ongoing development, and in the case of some auto manufacturers, licensing costs. Time will tell, but competition is good, because it drives innovation and lowers cost to the consumer.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ALIEN SUPERSTAR

TESLASUPERFAN

Active member
Aug 27, 2024
768
92
28
Canada/USA
www.youtube.com
so why buy now if UFSD will only truly function with HW5 equipment (front bumper cam/larger cams/hw5 computer,etc)

Like I said, Hw5 vehicles wont be for sale til at least 2027/28.......so were spose to buy FSD now with a 2023 hw3 car or hw4........so we can buy another 2028 car to save a few bucks ?

In 2028---tons of versions of FSD will be CHEAPER/BETTER and readily available in most Cars (EV's & ICE). The illusion of free will be used as an incentive to rideshare/own with their brand.

Self driving will be so common and readily available with each brand offering cool, unique features. NO ONE will remember who got their first.........price and features/safety is all that will matter in the end.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
so why buy now if UFSD will only truly function with HW5 equipment (front bumper cam/larger cams/hw5 computer,etc)

Like I said, Hw5 vehicles wont be for sale til at least 2027/28.......so were spose to buy FSD now with a 2023 hw3 car or hw4........so we can buy another 2028 car to save a few bucks ?

In 2028---tons of versions of FSD will be CHEAPER/BETTER and readily available in most Cars (EV's & ICE). The illusion of free will be used as an incentive to rideshare/own with their brand.

Self driving will be so common and readily available with each brand offering cool, unique features. NO ONE will remember who got their first.........price and features/safety is all that will matter in the end.
Different people have different reasons for buying a car. No one is saying "you must buy now", but some people don't have a choice, or aren't informed enough to know when is a good time to buy.

No one really knows when HW5 will be available. Timelines change, and it can be due to any number reasons like supply constraints, design issues, changing goals or requirements, etc.

I'm sure at some point there will be more options for autonomous vehicles. However, that is to be determined, and at what pace they release is also yet unknown.

Likewise, I severely doubt that it will free as you said earlier, but cheaper is definitely a possibility and that isn't a bad thing, especially considering that is how a capitalist market works. If someone wants to compete they have to either offer something better at a similar price to what is already existing, or offer a slightly worse version of what already exists at a lower price.
 

TESLASUPERFAN

Active member
Aug 27, 2024
768
92
28
Canada/USA
www.youtube.com
How long has Tesla/Elon been talking about UFSD-there are so many things that are not even close to being implemented, I love how Europe just got FSD and they love it......yet few are reporting all the incidents.

USA has had FSD from day one and YOU all went through all the mishaps and false promises for years......worse, U all paid for it outright.

Now, magically U really believe its just around the corner...........lol. OK----in realty its just does not work that way.
Please pay for FSD full price if u truly believe its almost ready.......U will be waiting for a few years but by all means BUY NOW........CRY LATER.
 

TESLASUPERFAN

Active member
Aug 27, 2024
768
92
28
Canada/USA
www.youtube.com
Different people have different reasons for buying a car. No one is saying "you must buy now", but some people don't have a choice, or aren't informed enough to know when is a good time to buy.

No one really knows when HW5 will be available. Timelines change, and it can be due to any number reasons like supply constraints, design issues, changing goals or requirements, etc.

I'm sure at some point there will be more options for autonomous vehicles. However, that is to be determined, and at what pace they release is also yet unknown.

Likewise, I severely doubt that it will free as you said earlier, but cheaper is definitely a possibility and that isn't a bad thing, especially considering that is how a capitalist market works. If someone wants to compete they have to either offer something better at a similar price to what is already existing, or offer a slightly worse version of what already exists at a lower price.
its not negative........its people saying its ready now, buy now, and the lessons from EARLY buyers who heard all of this before with their 2025-2018 tesla waiting for UFSD nd year after year.......NOPE.

ONLY FOOLS RUSH IN-I dont need someone to do my thinking for me, I open my eyes, do some research, listen to all you guys that have been with tesla for decades. YOU are the original source, you heard this all before.

If U watch the youtube videos: Model Q/2 is almost ready and at $10000-$25000 and UFSD is at 98%, etc---its all BS hype that simply isnt true nor is ready. Too many things missing. The words better buy now-is a red flag.