Discuss: Watch Tesla FSD Avoid Obstacles in Just 0.13 Seconds [VIDEO]

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
3,431
406
83

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
I watched the video as soon as he released it. It is super impressive what FSD can do and just how quickly it can react. However, the one thing I'm sure everyone, including myself, noticed is the extremely short context window. The portion where it finally hits the dummy and it falls right in its blind spot but then seemingly almost immediately "forgets" it's even there is honestly kind of scary. Imagine it appropriately reacting to something jumping out from the side of the road, like an animal or person, but then immediately forgetting the thing is there after just 5 to 10 seconds and running it over. I honestly don't know how you would solve this issue, but I feel this is one of the biggest shortcomings of FSD. Not only does it have a short context window, but it also should not have any blind spots around the car whatsoever.

Here is me hoping again that Tesla allows for front bumper camera retrofits at some point.
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,092
823
113
I saw this too, good stuff. Crazy fast and SMART responses.
WRT the part where the car backs up a little then drives over the dummy- all the car needed to do is back up farther until it had a visual on the dummy. JUST LIKE A HUMAN WOULD. There is no NEED for a front bumper camera but it would be helpful because you wouldn't have to back up 6' to see. This situation is obviously not part of the AI's training and needs to be before it can be unsupervised. I would have stopped completely and gotten out to see if the person was okay! The bigger argument here is- the car shouldn't back up and just keep going if there is a legit body in the road that it may have hit :)