Discuss: The Road Not Taken: Apple's Missed Chance on Tesla's Electric Dream

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
Explore Tesla's rise & Apple's missed EV opportunity, showcasing the power of vision & risk in tech innovation. A tale of what could've been in the EV race.… Read More

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
I gotta say, this bothers me a bit. With Dyson backing out and Apple backing out it *really* shows how difficult AND impressive Tesla's accomplishments are. It also shows how seemingly impossible self driving tech is.
Any 'disruption' at this point will be either - new battery tech that is more energy dense / better in extreme temps / quicker charging OR a $25k electric car that becomes super popular. That's my opinion no one asked for.

Reactions: RNHurt

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
I think it highlights the uphill battle that traditional auto manufacturers are going to face in the near future. Building EVs is significantly different that I'm not sure any traditional manufacture will make it out alive. Sure Porsche, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, etc. will be fine and probably do very well, but Ford, Stelantis, VW, etc. are going to struggle mightily.

That said, in hindsight I do think it was the right move for Apple to pass on building EVs. Cars are something that sticks around for 10s of years and Apple's message has always been "upgrade to the latest, greatest" every X months. It would be interesting to see what type of ideas that Apple had though. Someone on Hacker News mentioned Canoo EVs and how they looked like something that Apple might design. I think I have to agree. :)

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard