Discuss: Tesla's Roadmap for 2026

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
3,431
406
83
From the global rollout of FSD to the mass production of the Tesla Semi, we explore how 2026 will transform Tesla's pilot programs into reality..… Read More
 

VoodooPriest

Active member
Nov 26, 2022
126
181
43
Tesla is also intent on honoring its commitment to the legacy fleet. FSD V14-Lite has been confirmed for a mid-2026 release, ensuring that HW3 owners can also benefit from the improvements in FSD v14. While they may miss out on some edge-case responsiveness and overall smoothness, due to compute limitations, we expect features like V14’s Park at Destination, Speed Profiles, improved UI, and more to become available.
Who is holding their breath?
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
I definitely wouldn't be holding my breath, but there is at least still some hope I suppose. I doubt it will have all the features that HW4 cars have, but it will hopefully still at least be an improvement over the current v12.6.4 build HW3 is on. What REALLY worries me (though, I have no clue why they would do this) is if they just make some minor improvements, and release it as a "v14 lite" and call it done.
 

VoodooPriest

Active member
Nov 26, 2022
126
181
43
I definitely wouldn't be holding my breath, but there is at least still some hope I suppose. I doubt it will have all the features that HW4 cars have, but it will hopefully still at least be an improvement over the current v12.6.4 build HW3 is on. What REALLY worries me (though, I have no clue why they would do this) is if they just make some minor improvements, and release it as a "v14 lite" and call it done.
Not unlike many things these days, I don't believe it until I see it. Tesla leaks or statements from the company have no basis in reality until they actually happen. I would not be shocked if 12.6.4 is the end of the road for us legacy vehicle owners. I've been in IT my entire career. I know there are ways to handle legacy technology that move it forward while also investing in the "new". It doesn't feel like many/any tech companies work that model anymore. Easier and less expensive to leave the legacy tech in the dust.
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,092
823
113
Best to be skeptical and optimistic. Elon has a way of being optimistic to a fault when it comes to his timelines.

I’m gonna go paragraph by paragraph through this one-
CC and RT proof of concept coming to an end? We’ll see on that one, I doubt we’ll see the 14.3 build in the first Q, and would be happy if we see it before the end of the year. Unless 14.3 gets rebranded as has happened before. Love to be wrong on this!
FSD is the biggest bet for the vehicle part of Tesla, the pressure is on!
Worldwide FSD deployment? Where allowed. No doubt this will grow this year. FSD supervised is pretty good now, but UNsupervised would be a true game changer. I hate that term.
Slowly, then everywhere all at once- we have been doing slowly for 10 years (?!?!) now. Let’s get to the all at once part.
S3XY line up has mostly had a meaningful refresh. I can say this as the owner of a 2026 S (I won’t stop bragging about this, sorry). It’s not a drastic refresh like the 3 and Y, and even those weren’t TOO ground breaking. That said it is an incremental evolution with some under the hood improvements.
Model Y L seems to be a good RT for more than 2 people or 2 people with a lot of luggage, sure hope it goes wide here too.
CT - not sure what the future of the CT as we know it is but no doubt the tech in it will propagate into future S3XY cars. What does a refreshed CT look like? Any taming of the CT exterior is gonna catch flack but maybe it is needed.
RT- Has its place no doubt. I suppose there is a lot potential users of the RT fleet, and if it can compete on price / convenience can take a nice chunk of market share but this relies on UNsupervied FSD being *done*. 10 years of slow…
OTA updates- Other manufacturers are doing this now. In fact, I think Rivian bricked some trucks a few years back with one :) . Not sure what the Unreal engine will bring, once the car is driving itself I’d use it to PLAY unreal. The visualizations are nice when I’m driving and want to see what’s around me but once FSD is done- I don’t need it. So I’ll prolly need it for a while longer. Why not make it better?
HW3- Get this v14 lite done ASAP for these people! Please. I feel for them and will be happy to not seeing posts about this. They are absolutely right to complain and I’ll be happy for everyone once this is done. Also happy when a true upgrade path is solidified. You can’t HAVE an upgrade path until FSD is truly UNsupervised, and again- that’s gonna be a while.
Tesla Energy for the win! Saving our butts in 2025 and probably disproportionately contributing to Tesla’s success this year. This makes the risky vehicle strategy relying so much on UFSD a little easier to tolerate for me.
I would be pleasantly surprised if UFSD is done in the next few months! PLEASE. Get the stupid routing decisions / nav data sorted and it will already be so much more usable for me locally.
No doubt our current cars will be better cars by the end of this year, the real question is - how much better. The potential is there, a potential that doesn’t exist for *any* other car AFAIK. I’m hoping for a home run but would be happy with a triple.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
Not unlike many things these days, I don't believe it until I see it. Tesla leaks or statements from the company have no basis in reality until they actually happen. I would not be shocked if 12.6.4 is the end of the road for us legacy vehicle owners. I've been in IT my entire career. I know there are ways to handle legacy technology that move it forward while also investing in the "new". It doesn't feel like many/any tech companies work that model anymore. Easier and less expensive to leave the legacy tech in the dust.
I feel you on that, especially with the constant promises and not delivering aspect. Personally, I'm just trying to be optimistic for HW3 owners, because I also feel bad for you guys and I know me and many other HW4 owners will be in the same boat in another few months to a year. I'm still of the belief that having a car that has constantly upgrading hardware/software is bad for long term ownership, and because of this, I believe it should be upgradeable in both hardware and software. For HW5 or HW6 or any other future hardware versions, they should really be aiming to standardize the layout and design of the hardware so that future vehicles can CHOOSE to upgrade their hardware, and not be locked out of software improvements. Like, why should I have to get rid of a car that is still perfectly good and functional just because I want better hardware to benefit from the better software? That just doesn't make sense to me. At least not from a consumer standpoint.

I’m gonna go paragraph by paragraph through this one-
CC and RT proof of concept coming to an end? We’ll see on that one, I doubt we’ll see the 14.3 build in the first Q, and would be happy if we see it before the end of the year. Unless 14.3 gets rebranded as has happened before. Love to be wrong on this!
FSD is the biggest bet for the vehicle part of Tesla, the pressure is on!
Worldwide FSD deployment? Where allowed. No doubt this will grow this year. FSD supervised is pretty good now, but UNsupervised would be a true game changer. I hate that term.
I feel that FSD 14.3 may take a while, but I wouldn't say a full year, maybe late Q1 or some time in Q2 if I had to guess. RT sounds like it would have the largest benefit from a reasoning based model and what would likely allow them to start removing safety drivers/monitors more confidently. I know they are currently already testing removing them, but I feel that those are exactly just that, tests, and we won't actually see them removed until their error rate is low enough to remove them with confidence. Otherwise, they will need an army of remote service operators to constantly monitor them, which also isn't ideal because you are just shifting from physical monitoring to remote monitoring.

Likewise, 14.3 might also be what convinces governing bodies like the UNECE or whatever it's called to allow FSD fully. If I understand correctly how FSD 14.3 is supposed to work, it would mean that FSD would be able to be segmented, which is also what would allow v14-lite to become a reality.

I truly don't know what this year holds, but it seems like they have a lot on their plate, and like the article mentioned, "the groundwork has been laid, and now it is time to build on that".
 
  • Like
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard