Discuss: Tesla Under Pressure to Open Up Supercharger Network to Competitors

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
The US Department of Transportation is expected to require Tesla to open its Supercharging network to competitors, in order to become eligible for a $7.5 billio… Read More

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
Hmm. So if there is $ attached to opening up the *existing* network an adapter will be needed for CCS cars to use it. No doubt Tesla could build that adapter that supports fast DC charging and sell it, perhaps the government program should cover the cost of the adapter when purchased by a car owner. If that adapter can be built then that may be a bulky way to get it done (there may be one already that I'm not aware of).

IF that makes sense, and I think it does, Tesla could quickly open up the existing network and SHOULD get $$ as a partial reimbursement for building it over the last 11 years. Whatever $$ they'd get for building new chargers with CCS on them.

Also- My understanding is there are a whole lot more Tesla cars out there than all other EVs combined. IF that is true, then forcing Tesla to adapt to the CCS charger is, well, bizarre. Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe Tesla cars aren't the majority of EVs, and maybe there Tesla Superchargers aren't the majority of EV DC fast chargers in existence in the US. Regardless, I should get a subsidy for my CCS adapter (and any hardware upgrade like what's needed for our 2018 Model 3) if CCS cars get one for buying a Tesla adapter. Right?

Lastly- if that is too much of a Sh!t show, lets just do this: Tesla adds CCS adapters to new pedestals, opens the entire network but only gets $$ for building the new ones with CCS. Everyone is on their own to get adapters if they want them. This leaves a more equal playing field IMO. That is, when a Tesla adapter is available for non-Tesla cars & access is granted the Tesla network is just as available to those cars as the EA and other CCS networks are currently available to our Teslas that have a CCS adapter and are CCS enabled.

These are my initial thoughts / reactions and I'm positive that Tesla has smarter people than me figuring out the best way to access the federal dollars from this program. Personally I think the last option is best, less govt interference but I can see where the retrofit of existing chargers may be tempting if there is enough $$ accessible.

silversam

Oct 19, 2022
Tesla owners and shareholders paid for this superior charging network and because they are the best and Teslas account for over 65% of all the EVs on the roads in the US, I think the government has it bass ackwards here. They should contract Tesla to build out those 500,000 chargers as they would be the best bang for the buck and only Tesla is able to do this, everyone else is far far behind. Tesla is probably playing a wait and see game here. If others want to use the Tesla network, maybe they should buy a Tesla or at the very least their own CCS adapter from Tesla. The other auto makers should have to adopt the NACS standard as it is much better than the CCS one anyways. Tesla can also charge a premium as they didn't contribute to the build out of this system in the first place. The government can play hardball if they want I suppose but it won't go over well and I'm sure Tesla/Musk have Plan B contingencies to counter that hardball ha!

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

silversam

Oct 19, 2022
Hmm. So if there is $ attached to opening up the *existing* network an adapter will be needed for CCS cars to use it. No doubt Tesla could build that adapter that supports fast DC charging and sell it, perhaps the government program should cover the cost of the adapter when purchased by a car owner. If that adapter can be built then that may be a bulky way to get it done (there may be one already that I'm not aware of).

IF that makes sense, and I think it does, Tesla could quickly open up the existing network and SHOULD get $$ as a partial reimbursement for building it over the last 11 years. Whatever $$ they'd get for building new chargers with CCS on them.

Also- My understanding is there are a whole lot more Tesla cars out there than all other EVs combined. IF that is true, then forcing Tesla to adapt to the CCS charger is, well, bizarre. Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe Tesla cars aren't the majority of EVs, and maybe there Tesla Superchargers aren't the majority of EV DC fast chargers in existence in the US. Regardless, I should get a subsidy for my CCS adapter (and any hardware upgrade like what's needed for our 2018 Model 3) if CCS cars get one for buying a Tesla adapter. Right?

Lastly- if that is too much of a Sh!t show, lets just do this: Tesla adds CCS adapters to new pedestals, opens the entire network but only gets $$ for building the new ones with CCS. Everyone is on their own to get adapters if they want them. This leaves a more equal playing field IMO. That is, when a Tesla adapter is available for non-Tesla cars & access is granted the Tesla network is just as available to those cars as the EA and other CCS networks are currently available to our Teslas that have a CCS adapter and are CCS enabled.

These are my initial thoughts / reactions and I'm positive that Tesla has smarter people than me figuring out the best way to access the federal dollars from this program. Personally I think the last option is best, less govt interference but I can see where the retrofit of existing chargers may be tempting if there is enough $$ accessible.
I just heard that Tesla completley put up the Berlin Giga without one Euro! They even turned down subsidies available for battery production. If there are too many onerous restrictions, Tesla should just forge ahead with their own solutions. There is a lot of money to be made selling adapters and monthly Super Charger subscriptions/charge rates for non-Teslas so they can do as they please.