Discuss: Tesla to Simplify Front Camera Cleaning — "Major Area of Focus" Says Musk

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
3,476
408
83
  • Like
Reactions: RNHurt

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
769
758
93
This warning is something that I receive on a daily basis after I return home from my morning commute if I was using FSD. It never fails, and I think it has more to do with sun glare than with the glass being dirty (at least in my case). I always arrive back home at around 8:00 AM EST, which means that coming down my street the sun is in the perfect spot to blind, not only me, but the front facing cameras as well. Outside this very specific scenario, I haven't ever received this warning. Which almost makes me wonder if this is something that Tesla should be addressing as a bug or software issue. For example, what if the user goes on to clean the glass thinking that the issue is that, when in reality it is just the glare. It's even ironic to me that the picture in the article itself is of the exact same thing I see when I get the message.
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,096
826
113
Me too. I used to have SFSD bail on me when I crested certain hills facing west in the afternoon coming home. THAT doesn’t happen before, but the message to clean the windshield in front of the glass does appear now. I think it’s a combo of glare and the glass being a little foggy on the inside.
Now that I think of it - the only time recently that I had SFSD bail and say take over now was when driving on a mildly flooded highway after a monsoon storm. A pick up truck passed me on the left and rooster-tailed me with water bad enough that I couldn’t see a thing for a few seconds.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
769
758
93
Me too. I used to have SFSD bail on me when I crested certain hills facing west in the afternoon coming home. THAT doesn’t happen before, but the message to clean the windshield in front of the glass does appear now. I think it’s a combo of glare and the glass being a little foggy on the inside.
Now that I think of it - the only time recently that I had SFSD bail and say take over now was when driving on a mildly flooded highway after a monsoon storm. A pick up truck passed me on the left and rooster-tailed me with water bad enough that I couldn’t see a thing for a few seconds.
Ironically, I haven't yet had FSD bail on me, even when I do get that message popup at the end of my drive. Then again, your case with a large amount of water being splashed onto the windshield is a bit extreme and I can understand how that would cause issues for visibility even for a human.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard