Discuss: Tesla to Add Dolby Atmos Support to Its Vehicles in an Update

HomTolman

Nov 29, 2022
How can one Dolby Atmos installation in a Mercedes Benz require a couple dozen speakers, and a Dolby Atmos in a Tesla doesn't?

It's because the whole Dolby Atmos thing is a scam. The same is true in movie theaters. Early Atmos installations required dozens of speakers installed overhead, at a high cost to the theater owners. The market for such an installation was infinitesimally small, so Dolby started "artificially" creating Atmos soundtracks and playing them thru standard 5.1 stereo systems.

Dolby is not an audio company. They're a logo company.

• Haha
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

stankinaz

Dec 5, 2022
How can one Dolby Atmos installation in a Mercedes Benz require a couple dozen speakers, and a Dolby Atmos in a Tesla doesn't?

It's because the whole Dolby Atmos thing is a scam. The same is true in movie theaters. Early Atmos installations required dozens of speakers installed overhead, at a high cost to the theater owners. The market for such an installation was infinitesimally small, so Dolby started "artificially" creating Atmos soundtracks and playing them thru standard 5.1 stereo systems.

Do you drive a Nissan?

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
See, now I was gonna ask what Atmos is, particularly in a car. With my Air Pods I've noticed Apple music sounds pretty darn good but I have no idea what magic is going on there. The spacial audio was pretty cool, but not useful when I'm working and walking around!
Looking at the official Dolby site it seems to promote consistency and clarity / excellence across different systems. Is that the big deal? That you'll get the 'best' experience regardless of where you listen?

arthur

Apr 8, 2023
The technical details notwithstanding, I recall that Atmos will only be available to cars with Hardware 4. Is that still correct?

EyesFit

Jul 15, 2023

Dolby Atmos is an advanced audio technology designed to create a more immersive and three-dimensional sound experience. In traditional surround sound systems, audio is channeled to specific speakers around the listener. However, Dolby Atmos introduces sound objects that can be placed in 3D space, including overhead, providing a more realistic and enveloping audio environment.

In some luxury car models like Mercedes Benz, the Dolby Atmos installation might involve a higher number of speakers to achieve a more precise and immersive sound field. Car manufacturers may choose to integrate more speakers for a premium audio experience tailored to the vehicle's interior design and customer preferences.

Last edited: