Discuss: Tesla to Add CarPlay, According to New Report: Advantages & Disadvantages

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
I'm going to be honest, I'd hate this. The only reason I would use CarPlay in previous cars (before getting a Tesla) was because their infotainment software was horrible. The only thing I would ever use CarPlay for was navigation, and occasionally audio. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I think people really are just having nostalgia more than actually needing CarPlay. I can't think of anything specific I would need it for other than if I wanted to use something like Waze. So if they do implement this, I really hope that there is an option to disable it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Rfried4987

Member
Sep 26, 2024
34
24
8
I like Teslas infotainment system and I have no issue with the maps, but the biggest reason for me to want CarPlay is the text messaging and push notifications. The messaging system in a Tesla uses old Text messaging technology and sends group text messages individually looking like each person is texting me separately. On a conversation with a bunch of people this is a disaster. Also, it’s one issue that it’s impossible for Tesla to fix without CarPlay since they would need Apple integration to do it. The other apps are all nice and a secondary option like Waze would be a good add on but it’s not really needed.
 

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Well-known member
Oct 17, 2023
296
275
63
California
in any other car, i would get PO’ed when there is no CarPlay, but now that i have only Teslas, i would never use it, to be honest. the only thing i can think of it being useful for me is what @Rfried4987 said, which is text messaging. but on iPhones there is a setting where siri will read your messges aloud in the car; it does a pretty good job of telling me what I need to know hands-free, so that part of it still doesn’t bother me. so i feel like i really wouldn’t use this. it would be a great idea to put this in a Robotaxi for those who aren’t familiar with Tesla’s UI but they are familiar with Carplay.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
I honestly believe that people just need to experience how good Tesla's infotainment is. Sure, there will still be people that have their preferences, and that is fine if they make it an option for those people. But I think a lot of people that are in the “won't consider a car without Apple CarPlay” group are people that have only ever had bad infotainment systems as a benchmark. I am sure a lot of people would not feel the same way if they experienced how well everything is integrated in Tesla's system.
 

K.I.T.T.

Well-known member
Mar 26, 2024
501
339
63
Italy
Everything correct. But for Waze users it would be a bliss. Pity as usual seeing Android - thus the vast majority, Apple kicking out more customers with the latest liquid sh*t madness - neglected.
 

Rfried4987

Member
Sep 26, 2024
34
24
8
in any other car, i would get PO’ed when there is no CarPlay, but now that i have only Teslas, i would never use it, to be honest. the only thing i can think of it being useful for me is what @Rfried4987 said, which is text messaging. but on iPhones there is a setting where siri will read your messges aloud in the car; it does a pretty good job of telling me what I need to know hands-free, so that part of it still doesn’t bother me. so i feel like i really wouldn’t use this. it would be a great idea to put this in a Robotaxi for those who aren’t familiar with Tesla’s UI but they are familiar with Carplay.
Two things to that, One I don’t use Siri, I find it good for nothing and pocket dials people. Also i think that would still require something from your phone or require you to switch to Bluetooth audio, which I rarely use.