Discuss: Tesla reveals the Semi's efficiency, motors and Supercharging capability

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
I'm an outsider when it comes to Semi trucks, so I'm easily impressed. It would be nice to hear from the driver/s at some point. I hope they were being genuine when describing why do a truck when it's not a huge seller. The idea of reducing emissions in areas that are heavily polluted by freeways was a noble goal.

Nothing mentioned on AP or FSD for the truck? I'm also curious how much it weights and costs.
Perhaps the Tesla connector will be adapted by other truck manufacturers for the 1kw charging ability? I wonder if only high end cars will have that architecture... or if it's a trickle down tech that will reach the whole line up? I would think that there is an increased cost involved with this benefit.

Reactions: RNHurt

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
My father was a diesel mechanic and worked on the big rigs back in the day. He passed several years ago. I wish he was still here so I could talk about the Tesla Semi with him, he would probably have a lot to say. 😔

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

Legendary

Sep 15, 2022
I think the Semi is a great invention, but sooner or later we might have an issue with the power needed to charge these. I mean 1MW for each charger, that's a lot of power !
So we might need to do some work in order to scale the grid accordingly, cause I'm not sure the grid (at least in France) is ready to welcome a few of these chargers providing 1MW simultaneously...

Last edited:

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
I think the Semi is a great invention, but sooner or later we might have an issue with the power needed to charge these. I mean 1MW for each charger, that's a lot of power !
So we might need to do some work in order to scale the grid accordingly, cause I'm not sure the grid (at least in France) is ready to welcome a few of these chargers providing 1MW simultaneously...
I can see your point. However, I think renewable supplies could help quite a bit. Also, these power demands will be fairly well known in advance, which makes planning much easier.

Reactions: Legendary

Legendary

Sep 15, 2022
I can see your point. However, I think renewable supplies could help quite a bit. Also, these power demands will be fairly well known in advance, which makes planning much easier.
I'm not talking about the power supply in itself, but about the size of the cables that are needed to transport several MW. I'm not sure the infrastructure is ready for that, and it can get quite costy to replace a bunch of cables.