Discuss: Tesla Launches Standard Model 3 and Model Y: Comparison of Features

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,092
823
113
I feel like one of the videos I watched (maybe the Out of Spec guy) pointed out dual pane front roll up windows on the 3 AND matrix headlights. My gut says bet on Tesla adding lane keeping features to the base model now that it is standard on a lot of cars costing less.
 

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Well-known member
Oct 17, 2023
296
275
63
California
is it just me or is the MY standard one of the ugliest cars i’ve ever seen in my life? the back is fine but the front without the lightbar is just… something else.
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,092
823
113
is it just me or is the MY standard one of the ugliest cars i’ve ever seen in my life? the back is fine but the front without the lightbar is just… something else.
I like it better :p Light bars are ubiquitous at this point and kind of obnoxious. But- if you LIKE obnoxious then you do you :) . My opinion is in the minority no doubt, the standard Y does have a less-is-less vibe.
I also would like to have the roof and maybe 18" wheels on my current LR. Wonder what kind of range boost that would give me... Eh, not even 10% on the standard Y switching from 19s to 18s.
 
  • Like
Reactions: K.I.T.T.

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Well-known member
Oct 17, 2023
296
275
63
California
I like it better :p Light bars are ubiquitous at this point and kind of obnoxious. But- if you LIKE obnoxious then you do you :) .
the M3 doesn’t have a lightbar and i love the way it looks (neither does the MS or MX and i love the design too), the way they did it just looks uncreative, it genuinely looks like it’s an unfinished car from the front. if they did the daytime running lights to have some kind of design or some kind of aggressive look i would have been happy but i think they might have done this on purpose now that i think about it🤔. maybe tesla is just using this car to introduce a tiered pricing system. for only and extra $5,000 you get a lot of convenience and quality of life improvements:
  1. ventilated seats
  2. dimmable mirrors
  3. power folding mirrors
  4. FM radio
  5. ambient lighting
  6. heated steering wheel
  7. all heated seats
  8. physical seat controls
  9. auto steer
  10. matrix headlights
  11. bioweapon defense mode
  12. rear powered seats
  13. better suspension
  14. faster acceleration
  15. rear screen
  16. better range
  17. glass roof
if i was buying a new MY i would pay the extra 5k for all of that because when you write that all out on paper it’s a lot and i prefer convenience. it’s more value then FSD (at this moment) imo. it might just be a game of what are you willing to live without
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
the M3 doesn’t have a lightbar and i love the way it looks (neither does the MS or MX and i love the design too), the way they did it just looks uncreative, it genuinely looks like it’s an unfinished car from the front. if they did the daytime running lights to have some kind of design or some kind of aggressive look i would have been happy but i think they might have done this on purpose now that i think about it🤔. maybe tesla is just using this car to introduce a tiered pricing system. for only and extra $5,000 you get a lot of convenience and quality of life improvements:
  1. ventilated seats
  2. dimmable mirrors
  3. power folding mirrors
  4. FM radio
  5. ambient lighting
  6. heated steering wheel
  7. all heated seats
  8. physical seat controls
  9. auto steer
  10. matrix headlights
  11. bioweapon defense mode
  12. rear powered seats
  13. better suspension
  14. faster acceleration
  15. rear screen
  16. better range
  17. glass roof
if i was buying a new MY i would pay the extra 5k for all of that because when you write that all out on paper it’s a lot and i prefer convenience. it’s more value then FSD (at this moment) imo. it might just be a game of what are you willing to live without
I agree, but as someone who wasn't always in the financial position to even afford a used Tesla, I can tell you that the majority of people really only care about monthly payments. If this has a lower monthly payment over the other trim options, then this will still sell well. Before I bought my Model 3 LR, I had an Acura RDX, which was around that 40k price tag. And it had fewer features than the standard Y. This new Y has its place, but it will be difficult to tell how well it will sell. All we can really do is wait and see Q1 and Q2 numbers, since Q4 likely won't be a good indicator.
 

K.I.T.T.

Well-known member
Mar 26, 2024
501
339
63
Italy
I like the MY front better, too. Hate those light bars, especially the recent seen on BMW, etc.

It was about time that they at least provided some sort of differentiation (by design since they already made 2024 and 2025 models "premium" compared to the first editions), although keeping the glass roof with interior fabric is just nuts - although precisely what I do in summer. But at least I have the option.

Disagree with the comment about the touchscreen controls for front seats, what we really need are memories for passengers - which thankfully Commander deliver. We need some more buttons (and a HUD), not more delegation to touchscreen.

Funny also the comment about power mirrors and the necessity to fold them manually - guess we are really spoiled.
 

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Well-known member
Oct 17, 2023
296
275
63
California
I agree, but as someone who wasn't always in the financial position to even afford a used Tesla, I can tell you that the majority of people really only care about monthly payments. If this has a lower monthly payment over the other trim options, then this will still sell well. Before I bought my Model 3 LR, I had an Acura RDX, which was around that 40k price tag. And it had fewer features than the standard Y. This new Y has its place, but it will be difficult to tell how well it will sell. All we can really do is wait and see Q1 and Q2 numbers, since Q4 likely won't be a good indicator.
i do see what you are saying. overall, i think what’s important is more people in Teslas and more people being able to afford to buy one. Once they feel the magic of it, I know they can become hooked because that’s exactly what it was like for me. I remember not being sure about Tesla and not wanting to spend so much money, so I went with a used standard range M3, and that first drive had me hooked.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Well-known member
Oct 17, 2023
296
275
63
California
I like the MY front better, too. Hate those light bars, especially the recent seen on BMW, etc.

It was about time that they at least provided some sort of differentiation (by design since they already made 2024 and 2025 models "premium" compared to the first editions), although keeping the glass roof with interior fabric is just nuts - although precisely what I do in summer. But at least I have the option.

Disagree with the comment about the touchscreen controls for front seats, what we really need are memories for passengers - which thankfully Commander deliver. We need some more buttons (and a HUD), not more delegation to touchscreen.

Funny also the comment about power mirrors and the necessity to fold them manually - guess we are really spoiled.
can we please get an HUD with some Tesla magic sprinkled in, and i totally agree with the physical memory controls🙏🏽😩. it feels like a step backward and that would be a big reason i would hate the MYS because more reliance on the touchscreen would drive me nuts!!
 

K.I.T.T.

Well-known member
Mar 26, 2024
501
339
63
Italy
A touchscreen in an unstable condition is just an inefficient and ineffective interface, there's plenty of HCI UX/UI literature about that.

When we as pilots have touchscreen avionics, we rarely use them in-flight, and always have access to conventional options, which MUST be available. Wet fingers, an unresponsive touch surface, or simply some "turbulence" (in a car that's anything else than straight driving conditions and/or uneven surfaces) and you are done.

Obviously (without even needing to quote Jobs) touchscreen interfaces are cheaper and more adaptable for future purposes, but we are talking about basic functions here. The seats won't go in any direction further than what the actuators have already being engineered for - so it was a mere cost-cutting.