Discuss: Tesla Launches Robotaxi Website Explaining How the Service Works

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,096
826
113
Any guesses as to how many years it will take for Americans to ditch car ownership and just rely on this kind of service? I realize that’s kinda off topic, but I have no idea and am curious what people think and why. My suspicion is that city dwellers might be first adapters. Maybe? I can’t see privately owned RT cars being a long term thing if the manufacturer is both competing with you and selling you the car that they’re competing with.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
769
758
93
Any guesses as to how many years it will take for Americans to ditch car ownership and just rely on this kind of service? I realize that’s kinda off topic, but I have no idea and am curious what people think and why. My suspicion is that city dwellers might be first adapters. Maybe? I can’t see privately owned RT cars being a long term thing if the manufacturer is both competing with you and selling you the car that they’re competing with.
It might be a LONG time, if I had to put a number on it, I would guess a century. There are always going to be people that want "control", so for your average commuter it might not be a hard sell, but for your driving or car enthusiast, that is like asking them to stop breathing.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,096
826
113
Ha! Yeah, but in a century those people will have been dead for a couple generations :) . I don’t see it happening anytime soon. Not for my lifetime at least, so another 30 years or so.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
769
758
93
Ha! Yeah, but in a century those people will have been dead for a couple generations :) . I don’t see it happening anytime soon. Not for my lifetime at least, so another 30 years or so.
Yeah, I don't think it will happen in my lifetime either. It might become more common place to not need a car if that option is easily available, but I don't think we will see it replace private car ownership for a very long time.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard