Discuss: Tesla Launches Model 3 Turn Signal Stalk Retrofit in Europe for €660

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
3,431
406
83
Tesla's new €660 turn signal stalk retrofit for European Model 3s includes a new steering wheel and installation for owners of 2023-2025 stalkless models.… Read More
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
I personally do like the steering wheel buttons more than the stalk, so I wouldn't be getting the retrofit. However, that seems like a pretty steep price, but I guess people really want it, if it sold out almost immediately even at that price.
 
  • Like
Reactions: joe_apxc

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Well-known member
Oct 17, 2023
296
275
63
California
I personally do like the steering wheel buttons more than the stalk, so I wouldn't be getting the retrofit. However, that seems like a pretty steep price, but I guess people really want it, if it sold out almost immediately even at that price.
Me too! I liked the steering wheel buttons more than the stalk on my MS. Maybe it’s just different for everyone, especially what the roads look like where you live. Since I live in the US, it’s mostly straight roads, so I never minded it. (Except when you would straight up hit the button and it wouldn't turn on, but I would just move on with life.) I do kind of miss the buttons but I barely have to use the stalk anyway because of FSD 😂
 
  • Like
Reactions: joe_apxc and Procal

K.I.T.T.

Well-known member
Mar 26, 2024
501
339
63
Italy
Perhaps in the U.S. you don't have roundabouts as in Europe? :)

Signaling that you're exiting a roundabout when the steering wheel is in an awkward position (>180°) was one of the reason why there were stalks in the first place.

That said, it's disappointing that the retrofit is only about the turning lights and not giving back the headlight control - not so much about the windshield wiper, but that could have been nice as well.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RNHurt and joe_apxc

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Well-known member
Oct 17, 2023
296
275
63
California
Perhaps in the U.S. you don't have roundabouts as in Europe? :)

Signaling that you're exiting a roundabout when the steering wheel is in an awkward position (>180°) was one of the reason why there were stalks in the first place.

That said, it's disappointing that the retrofit is only about the turning lights and not giving back the headlight control - not so much about the windshield wiper, but that could have been nice as well.
yeah, we definitely do not have as many roundabouts or curvy roads as you guys do in the EU and UK. signaling in roundabouts is extremely difficult, and the first time I did it with no stalks was basically impossible, plus having the yoke made it even harder. so in certain markets i think it is alright but definitely not for others.
 
  • Like
Reactions: joe_apxc

K.I.T.T.

Well-known member
Mar 26, 2024
501
339
63
Italy
yeah, we definitely do not have as many roundabouts or curvy roads as you guys do in the EU and UK. signaling in roundabouts is extremely difficult, and the first time I did it with no stalks was basically impossible, plus having the yoke made it even harder. so in certain markets i think it is alright but definitely not for others.
That's the point. Trust me, I'm good at driving, but after a dozen roundabouts in few minutes sometimes I want to scream. Depending on the radius, I might end up not signalling the exit, because every time the position might be different and the least you want to do is looking at the steering wheel - again, that's what stalks were for: muscle memory. Ditto with super tight parking spots, I ended up disabling auto shift when in France, where underground parking are still sized for old R4s...
 

joe_apxc

Well-known member
Feb 20, 2024
273
251
63
I personally also prefer the stalk, as i also live in EU. Also i would really miss headlight and wiper control on my stalk. So thats the things i like about my legacy Model 3. Maybe i also would get used to the new positions and handlings, although i never tried it, i think i would not like to have it all on the steering wheel. I also like the shifting with the stalk more, as it enables me to go backwards/forwards quickly while looking behind, otherwise i would have to use the screen and look forward to shift. With the stalk i can do it blindly :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T.

Well-known member
Mar 26, 2024
501
339
63
Italy
I personally also prefer the stalk, as i also live in EU. Also i would really miss headlight and wiper control on my stalk. So thats the things i like about my legacy Model 3. Maybe i also would get used to the new positions and handlings, although i never tried it, i think i would not like to have it all on the steering wheel. I also like the shifting with the stalk more, as it enables me to go backwards/forwards quickly while looking behind, otherwise i would have to use the screen and look forward to shift. With the stalk i can do it blindly :)
When you will try it, it just feels like a step backwards. Then you absorb the absence of the right stalk, kinda, until auto-shift goes the other way, doesn't react or overreacts during parking to the point of scratching the vehicle. Then you scream.
The absence of the left stalk if more about turning lights and flashing than the wipers, honestly. Those work "well" (to Tesla standards...) with the soft button and touchscreen. It's just that the steering wheel interface has been very poorly designed when it comes to inner buttons.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: joe_apxc

K.I.T.T.

Well-known member
Mar 26, 2024
501
339
63
Italy
I'm just at Tesla Service and they confirmed that the stalks were reintroduced exactly because of feedback left by disgruntled customers (he said 80.000!) about, guess what... roundabouts!

Interestingly, he told me that the only meaningful way to signal something is to book an appointment and leave a post-service satisfaction comment, which will be read by managers and potentially escalated.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RNHurt

K.I.T.T.

Well-known member
Mar 26, 2024
501
339
63
Italy
I'm reconsidering purchasing the stalk(s) from Enhauto. I was skeptical because they don't restore full functionality and was hoping for a real retrofit from Tesla, but after the news about the severely crippled retrofit and the stupid pricing, I might give it a go. Restoring BOTH stalks costs anyway less than half than the Tesla nonsense option.
I might also give up "The Knob", as I ended up never using it - and finding it a bit dangerous, as due to its position it can be inadvertently activated.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RNHurt

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Well-known member
Oct 17, 2023
296
275
63
California
I'm reconsidering purchasing the stalk(s) from Enhauto. I was skeptical because they don't restore full functionality and was hoping for a real retrofit from Tesla, but after the news about the severely crippled retrofit and the stupid pricing, I might give it a go. Restoring BOTH stalks costs anyway less than half than the Tesla nonsense option.
I might also give up "The Knob", as I ended up never using it - and finding it a bit dangerous, as due to its position it can be inadvertently activated.
i’ve actually really been considering the knob and commander. can you give me a little review of it from your experience?
 

K.I.T.T.

Well-known member
Mar 26, 2024
501
339
63
Italy
i’ve actually really been considering the knob and commander. can you give me a little review of it from your experience?
Commander is probably the only reason why I haven't sold my M3 yet, especially after the last updates. I did when I disabled it for excluding that the issues I encountered were its fault, and I wanted to crash the car.
Disables the speed limit chime, disables autopilot before you inadvertently exceed 140km/h when recovering from a phantom brake or another car decelerating before you before leaving your lane, gracefully and gradually enables standard acceleration when needing a "kickdown", reconnects autopilot,l when changing lanes (useful coupled with TACC for a seamless experience), connects to the LED stripe signaling turning lights, autopilot statuses including nag visual warnings, blind spot warnings... just have a look at the features on their website.
It's nice having the S3XY buttons. I only have two behind the wheel as index fingers triggers: one to restore the headlight flashing, the other to enable autopilot with one tap by keeping TACC on when disabling it after the idiotic changes.

The knob is only useful for right seat memories, it's the only reason why I don't remove it. It's very clumsy, because the buttons have no displays themselves (might be solved by new hardware) and thus their functions are displayed on the knob, display which gets lost once you enter a function, which requires turning the knob even for simple on/off operation - while pressing it acts as a back button. Very counter intuitive. The haptic feedback vibrates like a 1990 Nokia, has absolutely no punch and "instant" feeling.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ALIEN SUPERSTAR

K.I.T.T.

Well-known member
Mar 26, 2024
501
339
63
Italy
Commander is probably the only reason why I haven't sold my M3 yet, especially after the last updates. I did when I disabled it for excluding that the issues I encountered were its fault, and I wanted to crash the car.
Disables the speed limit chime, disables autopilot before you inadvertently exceed 140km/h when recovering from a phantom brake or another car decelerating before you before leaving your lane, gracefully and gradually enables standard acceleration when needing a "kickdown", reconnects autopilot,l when changing lanes (useful coupled with TACC for a seamless experience), connects to the LED stripe signaling turning lights, autopilot statuses including nag visual warnings, blind spot warnings... just have a look at the features on their website.
It's nice having the S3XY buttons. I only have two behind the wheel as index fingers triggers: one to restore the headlight flashing, the other to enable autopilot with one tap by keeping TACC on when disabling it after the idiotic changes.

The knob is only useful for right seat memories, it's the only reason why I don't remove it. It's very clumsy, because the buttons have no displays themselves (might be solved by new hardware) and thus their functions are displayed on the knob, display which gets lost once you enter a function, which requires turning the knob even for simple on/off operation - while pressing it acts as a back button. Very counter intuitive. The haptic feedback vibrates like a 1990 Nokia, has absolutely no punch and "instant" feeling.
Actually I just reconsidered the knob for something I hadn't thought about... recovering the missed stalk.functions!

So I put D and R in their respective driving directions on one side and on the other I put turning arrows, as they appear on the steering wheel.

Like this I should be happily avoiding to add any stalk, and still have a reason for the knob.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ALIEN SUPERSTAR