MO:
This kind of thing happens with all new tech companies (I bet). The more disruptive the more evangelical people are. Then the realities of running a business settle in I guess.
I don't agree that stopping the S & X is chasing short term profits though, they're such a small portion of production and the factory is being converted to Optimus which is definitely a long term investment. A risky one too. A short term version of this would be making more Ys with less features IMO.
Very much agree with the FSD saga. Besides transferring it to a new Tesla they could also consider incentives to HW3 owners to trade in their cars. Then Tesla could use or resell those cars with *no* promise of FSD. Call the current version something else and cap it there with no future expectations of new features.
Adjusting the terms after purchase is wrong, assuming that's what happened. I'm sure some lawyer is salivating at this.
Totally agree with the CT stuff. Cost too much for specs too short of what was 'promised' which is why I cancelled. I'm still confused by the 10 day window, feels like there is a reason behind it that we aren't privy to. Maybe the idea is - at current capacity we can run the CT line full time and fill these orders while being mildly profitable. Hoping that the new 4680 chemistry and maybe other developments that are 'any day now' to arrive will make it even MORE profitable? I dunno.
I also dunno how easy / difficult it is to bring the CT's innovations to the rest of the line, but yeah- there's been a stall in hardware & software. Particularly since 14.2 arrived wrt to software. The only hardware innovations are minor ones on the Y from what I see. The wiper concentrating on the cameras and the braking system (which I don't entirely understand). I guess the side mirror caps are new too on the Y but they look inspired from other cars on the road.
Oh, I guess the 2026 S & X do have new cast aluminum components that make the heating more efficient. My S is crazy efficient, to the point that it's showing bettering wh/mile than the 2024 Y I drove which was also impressive.
Personally, I do not care about track stuff. I'm an efficiency guy. I also think vehicles should stay on pavement, so no comments on the off road CT capability. Except to say- expectations were prolly set by Telsa so that's bad on them.
My service experiences were few but good. The service center kept my car for a week to replace a windshield which should have taken less than a day. The excuse I was given- the replacement glass was already scratched and they waited for a re-replacement. I had a loaner and felt (if that is true) like they were looking out for me as a customer. Communication about all this was fine, I had a loaner, no big deal. As a stock holder I wasn't happy about the wasted glass

.
Still, this pivot by Elon to ONLY autonomous driving and cyber taxis hurts. Especially if it is Elon's dogma and not that of the rest of the board / company. Personally I think Tesla would be just fine without Elon, or Elon in a place where he isn't so up front.
Tesla has extended the supercharger network at a fantastic pace. I know that doesn't matter to any particular individual until there's a SC in a location that s/he needs but holy crap- there's a lot of them out there. Service centers have increased in number as well. Sure, we prolly need more.
The whole CC thing was already a distraction (even with the overlap of FSD development) then Optimus which also has overlap. So if anything I think you can see THIS as a short term sacrifice for future synergy (sorry, everyone hates that word by now) which creates crazy efficiency. Oh, and now Tesla has to build an AI chip fab which is also a long term investment. All that is sacrificing short term for long term IMO.
I, too, *really* want to see Tesla lead in specs too- longer range, insane efficiency, faster charging, safer batteries with longer life. Think about some of that- Tesla is still ahead in a lot of ways.
I feel the BEST thing Tesla can do right now- release 14.3 and keep developing it / releasing updates to us. That would string us along for a while
