Discuss: Tesla Introduces Luxe Package for Model S and Model X; Raises Price by $10k

K.I.T.T.

Well-known member
Mar 26, 2024
501
339
63
Italy
If you are in the market for a S or a X, the last you are interested in is saving $10k.
That's the basic principle of anelastic demand. And in this case the package is worth easily 2x or 3x, furthermore, so it's a no brainer.
If you need to save $10k, what you are really in the market for is either a 3 or a Y - and this price hike is merely an eye-opener.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

K.I.T.T.

Well-known member
Mar 26, 2024
501
339
63
Italy
When I win the lottery the price won’t matter :) Unless I win enough to buy a Rimac.
Interesting move. I suppose FSD will jump to $10k soon alone as it gets better.
Almost the same principle. Those who are already eager to part with the current FSD price will buy it anyway, if only a little less.
Those who don't want FSD (like me) will just be even more indifferent to it.
Almost, because in this case you were promised some future magic at a predetermined price and you will eventually get it. Or not, because you might change the car and not be able to transfer FSD, one of the main reasons why it doesn't make sense.
In the case of the 10k€ who didn't have this luxury package is already spending more to have the same stuff, potentially. And they cannot wave the hand and say "hey I want that package, too!"
Also, if you think about it, charging 99$ just for chasing a little MRR is plain crazy. Good that they put it in a package, eventually.
 

RNHurt

Well-known member
Sep 17, 2022
448
358
63
Kentucky
I was pretty excited about the Luxe package until I learned of the price increase. Holy Cow! Do they really want to stop making the S and X that they are trying to drive people away!? No (significant) updates in years, actually downgrading some things (no stalks), and jacking the price up while the demand for Tesla's is falling!? What are they thinking?!
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
I was pretty excited about the Luxe package until I learned of the price increase. Holy Cow! Do they really want to stop making the S and X that they are trying to drive people away!? No (significant) updates in years, actually downgrading some things (no stalks), and jacking the price up while the demand for Tesla's is falling!? What are they thinking?!
I don't understand why they couldn't just make it a separate package. Similar how other manufacturers do it. Why is Tesla so allergic to the idea of offering different packages and models for different people looking to spend different amounts of money? It is almost the same thing that is currently turning me off from buying a Tesla in the future. Why make such a sophisticated car in both hardware and software, but then simultaneously not make it upgradeable if the owner chooses to pay for the upgrades? Maybe I am just out of touch in terms of corporate decisions and what generates the most profits. But then again, isn't the entire goal of Tesla to also accelerate EV adoption, and make great products that people want to buy?
 

RNHurt

Well-known member
Sep 17, 2022
448
358
63
Kentucky
I don't understand why they couldn't just make it a separate package. Similar how other manufacturers do it. Why is Tesla so allergic to the idea of offering different packages and models for different people looking to spend different amounts of money?
I actually like that Tesla doesn't offer feature "packages". I tried to spec out an F150 Lightning and the amount of different options was overwhelming. And the fact that if you wanted one feature you had to purchase the whole package drove me nuts: you can't have towing capability unless you get the chrome bumpers. 😱
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
I actually like that Tesla doesn't offer feature "packages". I tried to spec out an F150 Lightning and the amount of different options was overwhelming. And the fact that if you wanted one feature you had to purchase the whole package drove me nuts: you can't have towing capability unless you get the chrome bumpers. 😱
That isn't exactly what I meant, but I understand what you are saying. I meant more along the lines of package options for software. Seeing as this is essentially the same car, but just with mostly added software and warranty. And being that Tesla's are so software dependent, and are essentially made to order, you would think it would not be that difficult for them to do something like this. If it was something additional, for example, better sound insulation for a quieter cabin, more horsepower, longer range, faster charging, different styling, etc. then yes, I would agree that would be a bad move to put it into a package. But even then, I feel that with how few Model S and X they make already, it would not be outlandish to make them to order with these additional options if the owner chooses.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RNHurt

K.I.T.T.

Well-known member
Mar 26, 2024
501
339
63
Italy
I actually like that Tesla doesn't offer feature "packages". I tried to spec out an F150 Lightning and the amount of different options was overwhelming. And the fact that if you wanted one feature you had to purchase the whole package drove me nuts: you can't have towing capability unless you get the chrome bumpers. 😱
That's the ridiculous old-style thinking that always drove us nuts with old car manufacturers - only there weren't alternatives. Tesla entered with an "iPhone" approach. Power, Color(s) and autopilot level, both in order to simplify the manufacturing and because their direct sales model would not work otherwise. Early adopters were to be caught in few clicks, not 1-hour BMW-style configurations (which most of the time never make it to the actual purchase due to "constraints", but that's another story).

Also remember that one of Elon's principles is "never optimize a process that shouldn't even exist", so good that they got rid of options and packages from the start. At the cost of Apple-like "Orwellian" homologation, but - hey - we all personalize aftermarket, don't we?

But also, Tesla already created some itchy "package" combination under the umbrella of "versions", didn't they. You couldn't get a RWD LR until recently, for instance. Couldn't get the LR battery, which is an essential component, without insane speed. And to get better interiors and suspensions, you still have to get the Sport version, with more ridiculous speed... and shorter range. That's just plain stupid.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: RNHurt and Procal

Russellp

New member
Feb 24, 2025
8
9
3
I am seriously considering upgrading my HW3 MY to a Model S. I own FSD now and it is currently transferrable. Its hard to imagine me paying for FSD again when I haven’t gotten my full value from my current car. I still am recommending Tesla use the Luxe package as an incentive to move HW3 people from their cars avoiding the promised expensive retrofit for Tesla. I’m thinking it could be win win for those of us who are Tesla fans and are investing in the company’s future by paying ahead for FSD that isn’t fully developed. At this point, I have put my purchase on hold trying to justify the $8000 cost or loss to my current vehicle. Hopefully Tesla will make exceptions for current HW3 owners and give us an $8,000 discount on the Luxe package.