That is a lot more than I expected! I was guessing $5k.
It’s only a miss if they can’t sell trucks at that number, and seeing how far out deliveries are (into next year!) for those that got it at the discounted price they can not make them fast enough already.
My guess (uninformed) is that Tesla expects the breakthrough in dry process to greatly reduce the costs of all their vehicles in the near future. That would mean wedging the 4680s into the model 3 as they have with the Y. No idea if that’s difficult but being that the 3 and Y are very similar I’m guessing not. This strategy really relies on that 4680 dry battery coming through finally.
You gotta love the ‘TACTICAL gray interior’ line. Way to sell trucks to the macho Mentality. Reminds me of all the eye rolling inducing ads I saw aimed at us in Law Enforcement years ago. ‘Because it’s not what you DO, it’s who you ARE’ To sell us shoes / boots. No… it’s what I do. Defining who I am only by what I do for a living is a recipe for suicide.
ANYWAY… I think Tesla can keep producing the current 4680s to fulfill these orders if needed and if/when the dry 4680s are ready the profit margin will increase. With the F150 Lightening discontinued the truck EV offerings have shrunk. Does Rivian have a similar priced truck? I doubt they could pump them out fast enough if they did.