Discuss: Tesla FSD V14.1.3 Starts Rolling Out to Non-Influencers, Expands to Model S & X

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,096
826
113
After driver a few miles there are some differences-
First- brake stabbing. Where 13.2.9 would start and stop from a stop sign with a clear intersection I feel 14 does a quick hesitation that is less annoying. It also feels more familiar with neighborhood roads, 13 used to drive very slowly for me around my neighborhood. It doesn't avoid manhole covers that are raised a bit out of the ground and act like speed bumps (almost the inverse of pot holes). Hilly roads get these, I think the covers are level but the road is on a slope and so there's always a bump on one side. Snow plows must hate those.
Routing is as dumb as ever. No improvements there. It did take me to open spots in parking lots and park as advertised. And parked well. It even picked spots with open spaces when there were some. At my new work location it tucked the car away in a smart place that wasn't marked as a spot but had a picnic table on one side and a boat on a trailer on the other.
Standard feels more like what I thought it should be, doing 7 over in a 45. It will sometimes linger in left lanes when I feel it shouldn't but MABYE it's bette at getting out of the way before someone passes on the right because I'm in a lane where I shouldn't be.
This version still backs out of my driveway and starts to go forward too soon, on the wrong side of the street. I'll try to describe the scenario- imagine a curved residential street with no markings and enough landscape trees that it's hard to see, not to mention it's at the bottom of a hill. My driveway is on the inside of the curve, so it is particularly dangerous (even with 25mph residential traffic) to linger on the inside of that curve, never mind be pointing in the WRONG direction. That's why it's a U shape driveway, so I can always pull straight out which is still not easy to see.
All in all I'm not as impressed as all the hype around this build yet. God I wish they'd fix routing, getting over earlier when the road splits for example. How about preferring to use a traffic light to make lefts onto a busy street instead of a stop sign where you wait forever? Simple things. Smooth is fast and safe.
This does feel like a step forward, not a leap. Hitting a button on the car in your driveway then getting out in a parking spot 15 minutes later is pretty nice.
There, you all have been influenced.
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,096
826
113
Some more experiences- hit and miss getting into the proper left turn lane when there are two. Did great at one turn after getting off a highway (the right left turn lane was the right choice) but then jerked into the wrong left turn lane going into a mall. Weird this is - it used to screw one up and do the other fine.
A couple times there was a jerk into another lane, done safely but suddenly and unsettling.
Signals just about every time TOO EARLY. Early enough that it would appear that I was intending to turn into a drive way or other street. Sometimes 400+ feet ahead of the turn. This was a problem with 13.2.9 for me and if anything it is worse. Consistently worse. So maybe they can fix it.
Lingered in a left turn shoot at a stop sign onto a 4 lane (2 each way) divided road due to traffic long enough that I just took over before getting honked at.
Definitely felt more aquatinted with neighborhood streets, more reasonable in standard mode wrt speed. Standard also seem comfortable in changing lanes, it did this on a 3 lane (each direction) in town highway, passed a car then immediately started signaling to get back in the lane it came from. Dick move.
Went to Costco with parking lot selected, holy crap was Costco busy! The car was gonna go down the rows closest to the store and I took over just because that’s a fool’s errand. I can walk, and by the time it finds a spot I could have parked further out and walked in, bought my dad’s Martinelli’s and left the store. So I stuck a pin in the lot farther out where I usually park and it found the first spot out there and took it EXACTLY as I wanted. It also dealt with the tons of people and cars perfectly. When I went to visit my dad in the home he lives in (an actual home in a neighborhood) I selected street parking. This is tricky, lots of driveways, mailboxes, etc. The car did great parking on a side road next to the corner house vs in front where there is little opportunity.
It was really great in most cases, occasionally suddenly slowing for something in the road that I didn’t see and didn’t exist or wasn’t a problem. Once it went AROUND a manhole cover (safely, just odd) and then immediately drove over another one (that appeared to look the same to me) without fanfare.
So maybe after waiting 330 days you might WANT this update, and I’m happy to have it but I suspect the real .2 update will be the one we’ve been waiting for.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RNHurt and Procal

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
769
758
93
Well, it's been a few days since they first started sending it out to people, and it seems they have stopped sending it out. I assume this means that we will have to wait for a 14.1.X or a 14.2 release. Hopefully they keep up the pace with improvements, and we see it get drastically better over the coming weeks.

I do also recall a portion of the shareholder's meeting where one of them mentioned that the 10x parameter count isn't implemented yet, or something along those lines. Which, if true, is kind of ridiculous that it is already as good as it is without that.
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,096
826
113
Well, it's been a few days since they first started sending it out to people, and it seems they have stopped sending it out. I assume this means that we will have to wait for a 14.1.X or a 14.2 release. Hopefully they keep up the pace with improvements, and we see it get drastically better over the coming weeks.

I do also recall a portion of the shareholder's meeting where one of them mentioned that the 10x parameter count isn't implemented yet, or something along those lines. Which, if true, is kind of ridiculous that it is already as good as it is without that.
Wrt that 10x - yeah! The car feels extra-human when it comes to awareness. Some speculate that’s where the hesitation comes from when it happens, it is seeing so much and considering so much. It activates super fast like it was just waiting for you. Like a 1 yr old trained dog or something. If that’s before the 10x stuff, well jeez.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RNHurt and Procal