Discuss: Tesla FSD Drives Coast-to-Coast Across Canada Without Intervention

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
3,431
406
83

TESLASUPERFAN

Active member
Aug 27, 2024
768
92
28
Canada/USA
www.youtube.com
hmmm without intervention, yet for consumer vehicle FSD is rated at level 2. Meanwhile Cybercab FSD is at level 4.

NO INTERVENTION-how did they cross the border with FSD in control: multiple lanes opened, border guard kiosk/hut, secondary inspection areas ?
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
I actually watched some of the livestreams of this as it was happening. It was pretty uneventful most of the time, which is likely what you would want in an autonomous system. It's an awesome achievement, and if anything, I feel like these kinds of long road trip tests should signal to Tesla that FSD is probably ready for level 3 or level 4 autonomy on highways.

I get that there is a lot more to it than just saying "it's level 3/4 now," but at some point they have to acknowledge just how good it is for road trips specifically, which is also likely where people would want to use it most. But who knows? They most definitely have more data than we know about for intervention rates and safety margins, and it probably tells a different story.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ALIEN SUPERSTAR

TESLASUPERFAN

Active member
Aug 27, 2024
768
92
28
Canada/USA
www.youtube.com
Meh, I don’t see any video of Fsd handling toll booths, border crossing booth or secondary inspection. Drive thrus, traffic circles, car washes, police hand signals/directions, etc.

So when I read NO INTERVENTIONS going like 1000 + miles it’s kinda hard to believe the driver did not encounter one of the above mentioned edge cases.

Lots of new non-active traffic lights are up-does Fsd read colors or does it recognize the shape and slow down ?
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
For anyone curious about which livestream I watched since I forgot to include it, this is the YouTube page of one of the people in the vehicle: https://www.youtube.com/@CanadaFSD/streams

He does other Tesla/FSD content as well. The article does a pretty good job of laying out the context and the achievement, but I think they should have talked more about the actual journey itself. For reference, they stayed within Canada (no border crossings into the US), they slept at hotels, and they ate between restaurants and fast food locations, and they took obvious restroom breaks. There is plenty more than that, but I'll let the livestreams speak for themselves because they are definitely more entertaining than you'd think.

The trip was handled entirely by FSD, but it was mostly highway cruising with the occasional stops. Still impressive nonetheless.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,092
823
113
I agree, he’s got a good POV with FSD. Also like Dirty Tesla, Chuck Cook, Ananto, and I think I’m missing one other.FWIW- I had 14.3.3 just give up yesterday at a very uninteresting part of my commute. Red steering wheel and hazards came on. I took over and immediately re-engaged and FSD started right up again no problem. Even with that hiccup (which absolutely can not happen for unsupervised!) my biggest complaint is nav / routing.So many dumb choices yesterday, including turning right onto a busy road then trying a U turn at a light where there was clearly not enough room and I had to STOP AND BACK UP. All that could have been avoided by going through a parking lot to a street that came out at a traffic light at that same busy street.
Highway stuff is easy at this point, with the two annoyances or - camping in the left lane and NOT moving into a comfortable position for exits. I’ve had my car pass someone going 71 and I’m going 72 within .5 mile of needing to take an exit. Just a dumb move that ensures I miss an exit and / or look like an Ass trying to get over at the last minute.

I call that ‘routing’ but maybe it’s ‘driving’ and some is nav based where the map is wonky and the car isn’t thinking far enough ahead. I don’t care, just fix it!
Sorry, didn’t mean to take this over with a vent.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
I agree, he’s got a good POV with FSD. Also like Dirty Tesla, Chuck Cook, Ananto, and I think I’m missing one other.FWIW- I had 14.3.3 just give up yesterday at a very uninteresting part of my commute. Red steering wheel and hazards came on. I took over and immediately re-engaged and FSD started right up again no problem. Even with that hiccup (which absolutely can not happen for unsupervised!) my biggest complaint is nav / routing.So many dumb choices yesterday, including turning right onto a busy road then trying a U turn at a light where there was clearly not enough room and I had to STOP AND BACK UP. All that could have been avoided by going through a parking lot to a street that came out at a traffic light at that same busy street.
Highway stuff is easy at this point, with the two annoyances or - camping in the left lane and NOT moving into a comfortable position for exits. I’ve had my car pass someone going 71 and I’m going 72 within .5 mile of needing to take an exit. Just a dumb move that ensures I miss an exit and / or look like an Ass trying to get over at the last minute.

I call that ‘routing’ but maybe it’s ‘driving’ and some is nav based where the map is wonky and the car isn’t thinking far enough ahead. I don’t care, just fix it!
Sorry, didn’t mean to take this over with a vent.
I just got the update today in the morning. After just a quick 10-mile drive to grab some food, I can honestly say that it feels like routing, decision-making, and navigation took a step backward from 2026.2.9.10 and FSD 14.3.2 from just that initial short drive. It also seems to be worse in parking as well overall.

As an example, the routing/navigation aspect decided that it was smarter to make a right out of an intersection and go down the street to make a u-turn instead of just turning left at that intersection. For parking, I pulled into the parking lot of a fast food location, and the spot it chose was a rather short parking spot because it had a light post in that same exact spot. It pulled so far into the parking spot that it almost not only hit the light post but also scraped the bottom of my bumper with the spot's parking block.

I will obviously be trying it much more over the next few weeks until the next update, but so far just from that early drive, the first impressions aren't great.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,092
823
113
It’s almost like where in shipping they talk about that last mile to deliver to a house being the hardest part to solve. The driving / nav is pretty well solved right up to the ‘last mile’ of local stuff. That’s the .99999 .
 

TESLASUPERFAN

Active member
Aug 27, 2024
768
92
28
Canada/USA
www.youtube.com
Not totally solved, we’re not seeing all the edge case scenarios. I mean the car driving a straight line for hours is quite boring.

How is being a passenger in a car,bus, train, plane any different.

I’d like to see cars driving around empty, driving to your home for new buyers or test drives.

Show me banish or summon. FSD has a lot of tricks it is capable of but we don’t see those.