Discuss: Tesla Discusses HW3 Upgrade and Its Next-Gen AI5 FSD Computer

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
3,457
408
83
Tesla's FSD hardware roadmap explained: A deep dive on the delayed HW3 upgrade path, AI4's current capabilities, and a first look at the non-retrofit AI5.… Read More
 
  • Like
Reactions: RNHurt

RNHurt

Well-known member
Sep 17, 2022
450
359
63
Kentucky
Short version, we're not getting a HW3 upgrade. It's not going to happen until FSD (unsupervised) is finalized and I don't see that happening in the next 5-10 years. By that time, our legacy vehicles will be all but forgotten.
 

VoodooPriest

Active member
Nov 26, 2022
132
183
43
Exactly what I came to write. I plan to treat my 2022 M3LR like I would any car. Pay it off, drive it a bit longer, get something else. The article tells me all I need to know about the future. HW3 vehicles will receive minor tweaks and enhancements, perhaps a larger feature or two, but we are essentially done with what our cars will become/can become.
 
  • Like
Reactions: joe_apxc and RNHurt

joe_apxc

Well-known member
Feb 20, 2024
276
252
63
Thats what i also thought from reading the article. But i wonder about one thing. If you have a bought Version of FSD on a HW3 car currently, and they solve autonomy, they still have to do something right? Yes, there will be FSD transfer options to newer cars i guess, but what if someone doesnt want a new car? Are they leaglly bound to do something about it as someone already paid for the full package but is never able to use it? Because what will likely happen is that when FSD gets finally approved in Europe, i also doubt it will ever release on European HW3 cars, as we are far behind possible capabilities of HW4 or HW5 by then. The only glimmer of Hope is that they now began to release FSD for HW3 cars in China. We will see :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: VoodooPriest

VoodooPriest

Active member
Nov 26, 2022
132
183
43
Yeah, I don't know. Good question. Is there "fine print" anywhere on this? I bought it outright when I ordered my car in late 2021 (2022 M3). At that time, it hadn't occurred to me that hardware limitations could exclude me from ever experiencing unsupervised FSD.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RNHurt and joe_apxc

joe_apxc

Well-known member
Feb 20, 2024
276
252
63
I looked around a bit and googled for this scenario. Turns out Tesla probably does have to do something about it, either providing a HW Upgrade for FSD to be functional or give a refund for the bought FSD Package. First we have to wait until Tesla has solved autonomy. Then we will see how they proceed with HW3 owners. If they decide to do nothing and leave us in the dark entirely, i will probably try to get some kind of refund. Lets see