Discuss: Tesla Deploys First 500kW Supercharger with New V4 Cabinet: How Fast Can It Charge?

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
3,454
408
83

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
765
755
93
That is a pretty underwhelming result, and is actually a much lower improvement than what I would have expected. That said, I wonder what the longer term implications of ultra-fast charging are on battery health. We know that supercharging at 250 kW has only a small effect on longer term battery health. However, that is with the current charging curve. We now have some car models out on the road that can charge significantly faster, but the question is, at what cost? I personally don't see it as beneficial if it means I get significantly worse battery longevity.
 

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Well-known member
Oct 17, 2023
296
275
63
California
I wonder what the longer term implications of ultra-fast charging are on battery health. We know that supercharging at 250 kW has only a small effect on longer term battery health. However, that is with the current charging curve. We now have some car models out on the road that can charge significantly faster, but the question is, at what cost? I personally don't see it as beneficial if it means I get significantly worse battery longevity.
Cybertruck has a split battery pack, which means both batteries are accepting a charge of 250KW instead of one battery taking 500KW. so maybe for their larger vehicles, they can take this approach of splitting the pack so it minimizes wear and tear while also getting a faster charge.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
765
755
93
Cybertruck has a split battery pack, which means both batteries are accepting a charge of 250KW instead of one battery taking 500KW. so maybe for their larger vehicles, they can take this approach of splitting the pack so it minimizes wear and tear while also getting a faster charge.
I actually didn't know that about the Cybertruck, and that's pretty cool that they do that. But I would still be concerned about heat, which is probably why the charging curve didn't change much. Heat is by far the biggest factor in battery degradation, and charging at higher speeds surely introduces a much higher amount of heat. I only know this because I looked into this information extensively when first deciding to go fully electric. Especially because I live down in South Florida, where we really only ever experience summer, and what I like to call “diet summer”.

For anyone interested on some cool information on how you can take care of your battery better, here are some videos I found very helpful!

For NMC:

For LFP:

And for fast charging: