Discuss: NVIDIA Unveils Autonomous Vehicle Platform to Compete with Tesla's FSD; Musk & Elluswamy Weigh In

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
3,476
408
83

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
769
758
93
Competition is good, basically summarizes how I feel about this. I just hope that maybe Tesla will team up with NVIDIA in certain aspects, because it does seem like NVIDIA may have a slight edge in certain areas for the way they train their AI model. I wonder how Tesla's own reasoning model is coming along, and now that we have this news from NVIDIA and Mercedes partnering up to introduce this. Maybe it will mean Tesla is going to push out their own reasoning model more quickly.
 

RNHurt

Well-known member
Sep 17, 2022
450
359
63
Kentucky
I agree that it's just a product announcement but at the end of the video she says that it's available today in Mercedes vehicles, which surprised me a bit. I spent a few minutes on the MB website and couldn't see any mention of this capability, so take her comments with a huge grain of salt. Then again, I really liked the way the system lets you take over control without disengaging completely. There have been quite a few times on FSD that I would have liked to have given a bit more clearance around something or taken a different route. But doing so forces FSD to stop helping completely and gives you total control in a slightly jolting manner.

BTW: perusing the MB website made me realize that I love the way Tesla sells their cars, and hate the way "traditional" automakers do. Every single page on the MB site was full of nonsense words and gallery photos that told me nothing about the car. They explained the feeling that you get in an MB, or how the world would perceive you, but nothing about the actual benefits of the car. And when you did get some details, they were laughably outdated and absurd, at least for the EVs I saw. CCS charging is still a thing for 2026 models!? 0 to 60 times in the 8 sec range?! 250 miles of range?! These are not the things I expected from a MB.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
769
758
93
I agree that it's just a product announcement but at the end of the video she says that it's available today in Mercedes vehicles, which surprised me a bit. I spent a few minutes on the MB website and couldn't see any mention of this capability, so take her comments with a huge grain of salt. Then again, I really liked the way the system lets you take over control without disengaging completely. There have been quite a few times on FSD that I would have liked to have given a bit more clearance around something or taken a different route. But doing so forces FSD to stop helping completely and gives you total control in a slightly jolting manner.

BTW: perusing the MB website made me realize that I love the way Tesla sells their cars, and hate the way "traditional" automakers do. Every single page on the MB site was full of nonsense words and gallery photos that told me nothing about the car. They explained the feeling that you get in an MB, or how the world would perceive you, but nothing about the actual benefits of the car. And when you did get some details, they were laughably outdated and absurd, at least for the EVs I saw. CCS charging is still a thing for 2026 models!? 0 to 60 times in the 8 sec range?! 250 miles of range?! These are not the things I expected from a MB.
One of the biggest thing that caught my ear during that announcement was that they listed the sensor suite (in that particular demo) as using only cameras radar and ultrasonic sensors. Maybe Tesla is onto something, seeing as NVIDIA is only doing the software side of things and Mercedes likely chose those specific sensors. If they enter the market with no LiDAR, this could mean that way may see fewer autonomous vehicles going down that path. After all, why include a sensor who's only benefit may be something in cases where something like radar can cover for it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RNHurt