Discuss: Elon Musk Says Tesla Will Attempt Autonomous LA to NY Drive 'Soon'

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
Elon Musk stokes anticipation for an autonomous driving milestone, likened to a modern-day Cannonball Run, from Los Angeles to New York, marking a defining mome… Read More

Hagg6

Oct 6, 2022
What are the rules? It can't charge itself. It's already good at driving on freeways and I don't think that part will be so hard, except it's questionable whether it can be done without taking over. But in fairness, almost all of the time when I take over, it's not because I have to and the car will crash if I don't.

It's not a big deal to test FSD ahead of time near supercharger stations, and see which ones FSD has no problems handling, including the trip to and from a highway. And they can add or delete stops on the route without saying that they did the driving. Likewise, they can look at data from FSD beta to assure that people have driven on each part of the route successfully and regularly without taking over. Assuming that they are already looking at the data, they might have a good idea how feasible this is.

As far as FSD goes, I can't get it to go a few blocks in my neighborhood without problems, but that wouldn't be an issue for a coast to coast trip. It might easily avoid complicated intersections, railroad crossings, confusing right turns where it needs to cross a bike path, or any of the things that make it doubtful that they could make many local trips without intervention.

If you remove complex issues on local streets, then whether it's a few hundred miles or coast to coast, it will merely be doing the same highway driving, only longer.

Hagg6

Oct 6, 2022
He has said such things in the past and it never happened.
What he said in the past reminded me of other self driving demos I had seen years earlier. A driver shows a reporter for a major network how a car can drive itself. The driver types in a destination, the car takes local streets, gets on the freeway and ends up at that location. What never happened was the driver saying to the reporter "enter any location you want into the navigator." It's easy to demo something when you plan a specific route, and Tesla could have done it years ago had they spent the time making sure that all the specific features on a given route were accounted for rather than working on a generalized solution that actually would help create a product. Musk rightly decided that it was not a good idea to have a goal of making that demo, given that it would be counterproductive. I was glad when he announced that.

Had Tesla kept their goal of that coast to coast demo, we would have seen a coast to coast drive years ago, but FSD would now be behind where it is today. That wouldn't help me as an owner.

Red October

Jun 11, 2023
What he said in the past reminded me of other self driving demos I had seen years earlier. A driver shows a reporter for a major network how a car can drive itself. The driver types in a destination, the car takes local streets, gets on the freeway and ends up at that location. What never happened was the driver saying to the reporter "enter any location you want into the navigator." It's easy to demo something when you plan a specific route, and Tesla could have done it years ago had they spent the time making sure that all the specific features on a given route were accounted for rather than working on a generalized solution that actually would help create a product. Musk rightly decided that it was not a good idea to have a goal of making that demo, given that it would be counterproductive. I was glad when he announced that.

Had Tesla kept their goal of that coast to coast demo, we would have seen a coast to coast drive years ago, but FSD would now be behind where it is today. That wouldn't help me as an owner.
Interesting take but I have my doubts this is happening any time soon. Would I like to be proven wrong, sure as I have FSD on my car.

Hagg6

Oct 6, 2022
Interesting take but I have my doubts this is happening any time soon. Would I like to be proven wrong, sure as I have FSD on my car.

Tesla should know at this point, based on data from every section of a particular highway coast to coast, how many cars are making trips on each section without the need to disengage. The trick is knowing whether any disengagements are necessary. For example, if I change lanes on my own, but the car could have done it later without affecting things, they should consider that.

It's still a matter of what they mean with respect to charging though. The current software won't take a car to a specific spot at a supercharger.

Red October

Jun 11, 2023
Tesla should know at this point, based on data from every section of a particular highway coast to coast, how many cars are making trips on each section without the need to disengage. The trick is knowing whether any disengagements are necessary. For example, if I change lanes on my own, but the car could have done it later without affecting things, they should consider that.

It's still a matter of what they mean with respect to charging though. The current software won't take a car to a specific spot at a supercharger.
Agree with the lanes change part because that appears to be an issue. It takes way to long to decide to change lanes to a point it will slow down where as if I’m driving I change lanes before reaching that point.