Discuss: Donut Lab’s Solid-State Battery: Miracle or Illusion?

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,092
823
113
Thanks for the explanation as to why there is skepticism in the battery people. If this tech works out to be do-able, even with a BMS to manage heat, that would be fantastic of course. Heck, even it it takes 10 minutes instead of 5 to charge to 80%. There have been PLENTY of other batteries that were supposed to revolutionize things. As far as I can see none have panned out. In the mean time maybe Tesla’s new dry process will prove to be a nice step in the right direction.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
I’ve been watching this tech/news story unfold on YouTube very closely. It is all very interesting, but the claims they are making seem too good to be true. That is not to say I think it is fraudulent or a scam, at least not yet. I do hope it is real, because even if they only meet half of the claims they make, it can still be revolutionary. But I am definitely not holding my breath.

The hardest part for me to believe so far is their 100,000-cycle claim. That part alone just seems absurd, because that would mean the batteries could literally last millions of miles before ever seeing any noticeable degradation. Imagine a Model 3, for example, that battery is estimated at roughly between 300,000 and 400,000 miles before reaching high enough degradation that you may want to consider swapping out the battery. With 100,000 cycles, that number would suddenly jump to over 30,000,000 to 40,000,000 miles. The car would literally be a rust bucket long before you ever had to consider replacing the battery.
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,092
823
113
Miss Go Electric YT channel mentions a couple new, exciting batteries from established Chinese EV companies in this week’s video summary of news called The Current.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
758
751
93
Miss Go Electric YT channel mentions a couple new, exciting batteries from established Chinese EV companies in this week’s video summary of news called The Current.
The question I have now is whether this provides more or less validity to Donut's claims. Fast charging is great, but personally I care more about total range and longevity, which were the other two major claims made by Donut Labs.
 

RNHurt

Well-known member
Sep 17, 2022
448
358
63
Kentucky
The question I have now is whether this provides more or less validity to Donut's claims. Fast charging is great, but personally I care more about total range and longevity, which were the other two major claims made by Donut Labs.
To me, fast charging only matters a couple of times a year, when taking longer trips. Things like a family vacation with multiple vehicles can be trying, especially if those other vehicles have longer ranges and/or are ICE. I really don't like to be an inconvenience and have to stop every 1.5 hours for 30 minutes.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

TESLASUPERFAN

Active member
Aug 27, 2024
768
92
28
Canada/USA
www.youtube.com
EV’s not yet ready for looong trips-go gas if u want long distance: lots of places u can rent vehicles for distance travels. Every day commutes: work, grocery, liquor store, doctor visits, bars, school, workouts, restaurants, friends/ family visits GO EV.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RNHurt