Camera upgrades

pongajim

Oct 22, 2022
So what happens to the current users of FSD. Will it not work as well as with the new cameras and processor or will there be an upgrade available?

SteveWin1

Oct 25, 2022
I mean...obviously the current system is not going to work as well as it would with better cameras and a better processor. Tesla wouldn't spend the money on better cameras and a better processor if there wasn't going to be an improvement. With 4x the pixels on the new cameras, they should be able to see details twice as far away, which would be nice because I always feel like my car isn't seeing things soon enough.

Who knows what Tesla will do for their current FSD owners. My car got one hardware upgrade already when they updated the FSD hardware, but Tesla's customer service has really been going further and further down the tubes every year, so I'd be surprised if they keep updating these cars indefinitely. They did promise that they would keep upgrading hardware until FSD was attainable, but they've broken promises to customers many times.

Bob C

Sep 5, 2022
I got a notice that I should bring in my 2017 MS 75D in to Tesla Service for an "Autopilot Camera Upgrade. Camera replacements are required to access a continuously expanding suite of Full-Self Driving Capability features." I bought FSD years ago and Tesla upgraded my HW 2.0 to HW 3.0 for free. I upgraded from MCU 1 to MCU 2 on my nickel. I have never requested FSD for this car after waiting 3 months with a safety score of 98 without success for our 2018 MS 100D. It will be interesting to see what improves.

Ekendahl

Oct 25, 2022
I just had the FSD camera updated for my 2016 S57D. Now hoping that I get on the FSD Beta soon. The upgraded cameras didn't change my SW release, but it switched to Tesla Vision. Tesla Vision is an improvement over the old radar and vision-based system for normal FSD. The car feels more confident on the freeway and takes exit lanes more confidently. Not a huge difference, but still noticeable.

Now I obsessively check for SW updates each time I enter the car. So far, I'm on an old SW release behind the current beta. I take that as a good sign that I'm in the queue to get FSD Beta. My Saftey Score is in the mid-90s.

Reactions: Not a Tesla App

dyenunimium

Dec 22, 2022
i just hope that when tesla finalize FSD they will give out free upgrades for whom purchased FSD all the hardwares and im sure MCU 1~2.5, won't be powerful enough handle to perform.

pongajim

Oct 22, 2022
I think they will have to otherwise purchasing FSD no matter when some will have fed some less than fsd.