Basic vs Enhanced Autopilot – Is Tesla Using Different Road Models

PAD

New member
Jun 30, 2024
13
6
3
On a recent 500 km trip through Sweden with my new 2025 Model Y (basic Autopilot), I encountered numerous issues — noticeably more frequent and varied than with my previous Tesla just a year ago.

• Sudden and inexplicable braking, even on empty roads.

• Unexpected acceleration when entering roundabouts, changing lanes in roadwork zones, or overtaking left lanes if the right lane clears.

• When driving with navigation active on a brand-new motorway (clearly not yet in the navigation database), Autopilot kept trying to override my steering — as it often does when I diverge from the suggested route (which is frequently inaccurate). It obviously tried to follow the underlying old road !!

• Even after cancelling navigation entirely, the interference continued. Only after disengaging Autopilot and re-engaging it, did it stop.



This makes me wonder:

Does basic Autopilot use the same road interpretation and behavior model as Enhanced Autopilot or FSD?

If not — and I really hope it doesn’t — is Tesla fully aware of the discrepancies?

And if they are aware, is it truly responsible to expose drivers to this kind of behavior in the standard Autopilot system ? - even with the standard Tesla disclaimer ?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
765
755
93
Your experience is definitely something that I believe Tesla is aware of. I am almost certain that current Autopilot is still running on the old manually written code style that they used to use before they switched to an AI based model with the newer versions of FSD. Autopilot does indeed perform significantly worse than enhanced Autopilot or FSD, and I do myself wonder when and if Tesla plan on having a more limited version of FSD replace basic Autopilot. But for now, you are correct in your assumption, and I would highly recommend only using basic autopilot as a normal cruise control/lane keep assist system and treating it as such. Meaning if you are going to continue using it, make sure you are constantly paying attention and ready to take over as it will certainly make mistakes, and have a ton of issues. I typically only use basic autopilot on highways, or roadways with long straightaways, and avoid using it when I know that there are difficult road layouts or construction.
 

PAD

New member
Jun 30, 2024
13
6
3
Thanks, Procal — appreciate you taking the time.

I’ve been using Autopilot mostly as a lane assist, but I’ve ended up getting more than I bargained for — including dangerous situations, erratic behavior toward other drivers, and some very nervous passengers.

Honestly, if Tesla isn’t willing to give basic Autopilot full access to proper road and traffic interpretation, they should stop offering it altogether and just deliver a classic lane assist.

As it stands, it feels irresponsible.

I’ll be quitting the ‘beta’ and going back to plain cruise control.

Though I’m probably still in for some surprise brake slams…

That’s all for now.
 

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

Well-known member
Oct 17, 2023
296
275
63
California
On a recent 500 km trip through Sweden with my new 2025 Model Y (basic Autopilot), I encountered numerous issues — noticeably more frequent and varied than with my previous Tesla just a year ago.

• Sudden and inexplicable braking, even on empty roads.

• Unexpected acceleration when entering roundabouts, changing lanes in roadwork zones, or overtaking left lanes if the right lane clears.

• When driving with navigation active on a brand-new motorway (clearly not yet in the navigation database), Autopilot kept trying to override my steering — as it often does when I diverge from the suggested route (which is frequently inaccurate). It obviously tried to follow the underlying old road !!

• Even after cancelling navigation entirely, the interference continued. Only after disengaging Autopilot and re-engaging it, did it stop.



This makes me wonder:

Does basic Autopilot use the same road interpretation and behavior model as Enhanced Autopilot or FSD?

If not — and I really hope it doesn’t — is Tesla fully aware of the discrepancies?

And if they are aware, is it truly responsible to expose drivers to this kind of behavior in the standard Autopilot system ? - even with the standard Tesla disclaimer ?
in my experience, enhanced autopilot is just as bad as autopilot. i’ve had all kinds of problems with it to the point where i’m like “whoa, if i didn’t take over, it would’ve run me off the road.” that’s why i stopped using it completely — it just felt unsafe. and honestly, it’s 2025… it really shouldn’t feel this clunky just to stay in the lane and at least attempt to brake softly(when appropriate obviously). i don’t know if tesla plans to update the autopilot/EAP stack anytime soon, but it’s been a long time. maybe their thinking is that if autopilot isn’t great, more people will want to jump to FSD, but to me it feels like the opposite. if autopilot feels unsafe, it could actually turn people off the idea altogether. then again, maybe it’s not intentional at all — they’re just putting all their focus on FSD right now. i have been using FSD though, and it’s excellent — i’ve never had a single safety intervention, only comfort ones.
 

wjha

Member
Feb 23, 2024
35
14
8
Germany
I often hear, Tesla is using different code bases in Europe and (at least) USA.
So I' afraid it is difficult to discuss this without knowing where the other users drive.
 

PAD

New member
Jun 30, 2024
13
6
3
I’ve stopped using Autopilot all together…too dangerous.
The attempts to overtake in right lanes I’ve experienced, probably indicates US rules where it’s permitted. So, same codes ??