2023.26.8 updated autopilot?

JackBlack71

Sep 1, 2023
One thing that always bugged me when using autopilot is that when entering an area with lower speed limit, autopilot waits until it has passed the sign with the new lower speed limit before lowering the speed of the cars. I just received version 2023.26.8 in my M3 2023 and it seems like autopilot has been updated to fix this behavior and now starts to slow down to meet the new speed limit like 100 meters before passing the sign.

Did not find anything on this in the release notes. I guess it is included in the “minor improvements and bug fixes”

Has anyone else observed this changed behavior?

JackBlack71

Sep 1, 2023
I’m clearly delusional. Driving the same stretch of road today did not show the same behavior. Today it’s back to not slowing down until passing the new speed limit sign.

Furthermore I’ve noticed that on som stretches after slowing down from 80kmh to 70kmh suddenly the car accelerates up to 80 again even though the speed limit is still 70kmh and that even shows as the current speed limit. What’s that about? I’m I doing it wrong?

Warekiwi

Sep 2, 2022
I was caught out by this behaviour here in the UK! I was proudly demonstrating my new 2022 MYLR (last year on a local highway with a short 50 mph section (down from 70 mph) The car correctly showed the reduced max speed but took so long to act on this that I was caught by a camera trap! ( YES entirely my fault I agree but still annoying and it cost me £90 plus an attendance at a "speed awareness course". ) I've carefully tested it since and there has been no change in the behaviour of the system. My suspicion is that the speed limit compliance is based on the much looser US rules about speed limits and definitely NOT the highly regimented rules over here!

JackBlack71

Sep 1, 2023
Sorry to hear about the fine… and the course. I’ve recorded this behavior on a few stretches of roads here in Sweden and made a service request to “have the autopilot fixed”. They are looking into it now. I will let you know what comes out of that!

JackBlack71

Sep 1, 2023
Got an answer, and basically they do not think this is an error in neither the hardware nor the software. They even suggested that I would have to change the speed limit manually using the scroll wheel.

After reading up on the manual (https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/GUID-E5FF5E84-6AAC-43E6-B7ED-EC1E9AEB17B7.html) I have to admit it does not say it will adjust speed to current speed limit, only that speed will be adjusted to avoid getting too close to the vehicle in front.

Huh.. In many cases thou this will work as you would expect. In many stretches when changing from 70kmh to 50kmh it works automatically every time, with or without cars in front. But knowing this now I just have to be more vigilant and manually adjust my speed limit with the scroll wheel.