Software update wishlist

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Why not using the left scroll (at least optionally) for turning arrows?

I do like the removal of stalks, first of all. What I don't get is why they felt the need to stack the left and right arrow buttons, which is totally illogical (try setting an arrow during a turn without looking at them... reversing left/right comes intuitively, but which one was on top and now is at the bottom, even worse when ad odd angles?).

A simple solution would have been using one of the two scroll buttons, moving less frequent functions like the autopilot distance to such an illogical positioning.

But obviously the best solution would have been just copying other carmakers who have nailed this already, having one arrow on each side, or at least positioning them on a row and moving the lights button where now the left arrow is.

I don't know, seems like they released a hardware interface, surely replaceable but at a cost, with the same nonchalance that could be dedicated to the software interface, where experiments are more possible.

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Highland: Option to keep the alternate PRND touch keys "always" backlit
The panel forward/rear slide is very nice, but there might be situations, like complex side parking, when keeping eyes on the road with the least distraction would be preferable.

One can instinctively find the PRND positions on the top buttons, also because only R and D are actually needed while maneuvering, therefore it would be great if they could be optionally kept on automatically, at least when the break pedal is pushed to near or to a halt

Last edited:

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Car Valet Mode by location
I leave my Tesla to a garage near my house multiple times a day. It would be great if I upon reaching the premises it could ask if Valet Mode is to be activated.

Reactions: RNHurt

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Car WiFi status icon on app
Let's face it, you would have expected the car to update itself via its own mobile connectivity module.
But not, it requires WiFi, which basically means that you need a hotspot all along unless you have wifi coverage in your parking area.
Can we at least check the Wifi connection from the app?!
It's already the 3rd time a software update gets cancelled due to failure to connect to wifi.

joe_apxc

Feb 20, 2024
BUG: Dangerous sensing of wrong green light
It seems that the car doesn't use the closest traffic light but the one "in front". In a scenario where you stop at a red light and in front of you a red light turns green (which means you cannot go but whoever is in the segment in front of you can), the car beeps - which supposedly for a full autopilot (which I don't have as it would be useless in Italy), would mean that it would start moving and causing an accident. This bug is possibly due to the fact that on US roads traffic lights are only on the opposite side of the road limit the car has to stop at, while "everywhere else" (haven't seen the US way outside of US yet) you actually stop aligned with the red light and there would be a secondary, redundant traffic light in perfect sync with the main one. Hence, in the described scenario, the car seems to give priority of what "everywhere else" is considered a secondary traffic light, ignoring the main one (the closest to the car).
As you stated we dont have FSD in Europe yet, so our "Autopilot" is on a very old and depricated state and not very reliable since they focus on FSD instead of improving legacy things. I expect this to not be an issue when FSD is rolling out for Europe as it will be a completely different software stack then (hopefully it comes soon!)

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
As you stated we dont have FSD in Europe yet, so our "Autopilot" is on a very old and depricated state and not very reliable since they focus on FSD instead of improving legacy things. I expect this to not be an issue when FSD is rolling out for Europe as it will be a completely different software stack then (hopefully it comes soon!)
I referred to the US way of having a traffic light row on the opposite side of the intersection, not at the stopping line, while in Europe is more common to have a primary row at the stopping line and a secondary at the opposite side.

It normally works as intended, but at very comolex scenarios, it seems it doesn't prioritize the nearest traffic light.

In the scenario described, there's basically a quasi-roundabout with 6 spikes, each controlled by traffic lights. You stop at a red and in front of you you might see the secondary light of the intersection on your left becoming green. Tesla beeps, while clearly disolaying, thus recognizing, a red light in front of itself.

But as you mentioned, they should roll it out soon. Any idea about when? We should better purchase it before it doubles up in price. I didn't as it's pointless stacking €7500 on the current status.

joe_apxc

Feb 20, 2024
I referred to the US way of having a traffic light row on the opposite side of the intersection, not at the stopping line, while in Europe is more common to have a primary row at the stopping line and a secondary at the opposite side.

It normally works as intended, but at very comolex scenarios, it seems it doesn't prioritize the nearest traffic light.

In the scenario described, there's basically a quasi-roundabout with 6 spikes, each controlled by traffic lights. You stop at a red and in front of you you might see the secondary light of the intersection on your left becoming green. Tesla beeps, while clearly disolaying, thus recognizing, a red light in front of itself.

But as you mentioned, they should roll it out soon. Any idea about when? We should better purchase it before it doubles up in price. I didn't as it's pointless stacking €7500 on the current status.
Sure, but recognizing traffic lights status for deciding when to go or not is also part of the FSD Stack and it will probably not run the red light in your described scenario, at least i hope so :D

Its unclear when they release it in Europe yet, it could come in late 2024 if we're lucky. I already have FSD on the car (M3 LR 2021) as i bought it second hand, the first owner already bought it and it stayed on the car.

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
Electronic Tow Mode

Someone over on TMC suggested and electronic tow mode. 2nd Tesla, with nobody inside, follows 3-4 feet behind the towing Tesla, and it projects it's rear view camera to the towing car. Towed car follows every move the lead car makes. Now, it's possible to keep adding towed cars to form a train...

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
I'm sure this has been requested, but access to the lightshow from the phone app would be fantastic.
Do you really use light show? 2 years in a M3 and I haven't once.

I think there's a reason why they didn't do it. Or not, if you consider fart mode being added to sentry with no option to disable it...

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
Do you really use light show? 2 years in a M3 and I haven't once.
Sure. I don't use it every day or anything but it really blows people's minds when you show it to them. I think it's a pretty neat marketing idea. No other car could do anything like this and it really make Tesla stand out.

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
"Short" Horn Button

I would like a way to send a small, short "beep" to someone instead of a regular horn blast. This would be useful when you just want the person in front of you to go when they aren't paying attention at a light. Or to let someone know that you are behind them when they are trying to back up. I can do this is a "normal" car; just quickly and gently hit the center of the steering wheel. However, on a Tesla it seems to be that no matter how quickly and briefly I tap the center of the steering wheel the car responds with a full on BEEP!

Reactions: K.I.T.T.

phxazcraig

Apr 4, 2024
Here are a few I've thought of. (I suggested the electronic tow option, but I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere a while ago.)

1. The Nav maps should show a big green cross at hospital Emergency Room entrances. They can be hard to find, especially at night.
2. The software should somehow help prevent curb rash!
3. Make it easy to upload your own sounds and light shows over a wireless connection.
4. Add an 'Enlarge Controls' audio control option to simply double the size of the menu so that I have a better chance of hitting the right buttons while my arm is bouncing up and down. If the item I want scrolls off, I'll just scroll the whole screen back over so the control is in view again. And why stop at 2x? Let me use a scroll wheel to get the size up where I want it. Then have it revert back to normal size after a time delay. I find myself taking way too much attention from my driving trying to stab some tiny menu option and often missing it. Honestly, I wish the screen could sense where I'm aiming at and enlarge that area as my finger gets closer. (Probably not possible with single internal camera.)
5. Here's a big one for me - show cars behind me on the display before they are right next to me. I want to see them coming - say about 1 or 2 car lengths back.
6. Dramatically speed up Autopark. I've already had cars snake my parking spot while my car very slowly stops, turns on a signal, waits some more, then starts backing up. You just can't use it in a busy parking lot. Works nicely for Superchargers though, and saves me some embarrassment there.
7. Stop giving me FSD nags in the middle of a sharp turn! I'm not holding the wheel then, and when I have to tug on it I usually end up disengaging it accidentally.
8. On the Nav map, I'd like the option to turn certain categories to 'Flashing', like Speed Cameras. (By the way, has anyone tested FSD auto speed around known speed cameras?)

Reactions: K.I.T.T. and RNHurt

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Prevent rear passenger to move front seat if occupied.
We all know that all seats have weight sensors for seatbelts warning, right? Then why not inhibiting the rear screen from moving the front passenger seat when occupied? Or at least linking it to rear child locks such as window / door locks.

Steakman

Apr 5, 2024
Charge on Solar for older model X and S.

This is such a useful feature on my Model Y, I don’t understand why my 2019 Modex X can’t have the same feature.

If the mantra truly is “Helping the world transition to a more sustainable future” surely features that maximise charging your car via solar power over grid power are a higher priority than all these self driving updates.

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
NAG: stop asking for steering wheel torque, leverage the capacitive buttons
When I purchased my "highland" I recall asking the seller if the presence of capacitive buttons eventually resulted in the absence of the "torque nag". He nodded. Obviously he didn't understand the question.

That's precisely the solution to avoid the annoying (and sometimes dangerous) need to apply torque to the steering wheel.

There are two solutions:
1) as the car senses that fingers are on any button, such as arrows or wind wipers, but not firm enough to trigger the buttons (try it, it's quite easy), it could simply read this as "hands on wheel". This way you can rest your fingers all along and... no more nags!
2) there's an unused button for cruise control, "for future use"... just use it as an additional way of recognizing hands-on drive

Last edited:
Reactions: Las Lion

Las Lion

Apr 6, 2024
Allow autoparking on basic autopilot

Why can't we have this basic functionality that all other vendors have, unless we add the advanced autopilot (useless in most countries)? Let's at least add it for e.g. 500USD more...
and lane change, then I need nothing more. well more range in winter would be nice.

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Trunk opening with foot
Why don't we have this basic functionality, given that the trunk is automated anyway? There is a camera, the car knows we are in close proximity with the phone key. AI might also perceive we have bags...
Incredible, this is happening. Thanks for listening @tesla.

Edit: bit disappointing that Android isn't covered from the start. Would be interesting knowing the percentage of Android Vs. iPhone Tesla owners.

1713337935550.png

Last edited:

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Resize keyboard and options to "swype" and haptic feedback
The on-screen keyboard is waaaay too wide for automotive use, we are literally navigating with our hands across 7/8 inches (13 for numbers) while driving a car. Not good.
Please allow resizing it / restricting it to half of the screen (moveable left/right for driver/passenger use). Also introducing swype would simplify a lot typing. C'mon, even iPhones caught up on that.
Haptic feedback would not be bad as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: joe_apxc and RNHurt