Rear Fog Lights on US vehicles

Vroomba2

Oct 24, 2022
I think I saw that Model S and Model X have rear fog lights even on US models but the Model 3 and Y don't. Is there any reason why these vehicles don't have this feature? It's a genuine safety feature that's mandated around the world. The US regulators don't see that (or amber indicators) as a necessary safety feature. That said, many premium cars have them including Mercedes, Audi, Volvo and Porsche. How can we convince Tesla to add the feature?

BTW, the light itself is already there. We're just missing the button on the screen. Look at the back lights when you do a light show. You can see it to the left or right or the white reverse lights.

Reactions: Warekiwi

SteveWin1

Oct 25, 2022
White rear lights while moving forward? What's the point? Might make someone think that a car is coming toward them, no? Usually you see white when a car is coming at you and red when a car is driving away. Seems like fog lights on the back would cause confusion and/or desensitize people to the white. Literally yesterday I had a guy going the wrong way on my side of the road.

• Haha
Reactions: Vroomba2

Vroomba2

Oct 24, 2022
White rear lights while moving forward? What's the point? Might make someone think that a car is coming toward them, no? Usually you see white when a car is coming at you and red when a car is driving away. Seems like fog lights on the back would cause confusion and/or desensitize people to the white. Literally yesterday I had a guy going the wrong way on my side of the road.

I guess from your comment that you've never seen rear fog lights on a car. As in, you've NEVER seen a Mercedes, Volvo, Audi or Range Rover with extremely bright lights on the back and wondered why they were so bright? THOSE are rear fog lights. And they're RED! In the rest of the world there's only one, and it's located on the driver's side of the vehicle. They're used in heavy fog or inclement weather so that drivers behind you can see you from a distance. They're not meant as bling. They're not meant to be used on a clear night because of how bright they are.

SteveWin1

Oct 25, 2022
I guess from your comment that you've never seen rear fog lights on a car. As in, you've NEVER seen a Mercedes, Volvo, Audi or Range Rover with extremely bright lights on the back and wondered why they were so bright? THOSE are rear fog lights. And they're RED! In the rest of the world there's only one, and it's located on the driver's side of the vehicle. They're used in heavy fog or inclement weather so that drivers behind you can see you from a distance. They're not meant as bling. They're not meant to be used on a clear night because of how bright they are.
Nope, never noticed that. If they're red and are manually turned on in the fog, seems like a good option!

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard