Robo Taxi will not be beneficial for everyone. Only middle class and up will take advantage of it. Say an employee has a 24 mile trip one way to work. The convert to one dollar per hour, doing the math of 24*2 for one day, then 48*5 for 5 days a week 240 then call it 4 weeks a month 960 per month. That is more than a car payment that you can use more than to and from work. Now allowing for people to buy the Robo-Taxi for private use would be a WIN WIN.
I agree, but maybe we should wait and see. Perhaps they have a plan for a monthly payment where, for example, you pay $100 or $200 a month, and you get a certain number of rides. I think that would be viable for a lot of people, and probably more beneficial than owning a car yourself, since you wouldn't have to worry about depreciation, maintenance, charging, etc.
Ideally, they would make a version of the Cybercab that had normal controls, and you could purchase. However, I think that may be unlikely if they scraped the idea of an affordable model all together.