Discuss: Tesla Update 2025.32.8.16 (FSD V14.1.4) Release Notes

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
3,476
408
83
Tesla software update 2025.32.8.16 includes FSD (Supervised) v14.1.3, Arrival Options, Speed Profiles, UI Improvements, Brake Confirm, Full Self-Driving (Supervised). View Release Notes
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,096
826
113
Watching a couple 14.1.4 videos now. Still stabby and indecisive. Like kitten energy in a car. One video I noticed a turn signal coming on 300 feel before a turn, which is my current pet peeve. It wasn’t an issue in the video because there weren’t other driveways or streets to confuse anyone.
Imagine how indecisive it would be if it were 10x more aware! Can’t wait for this to get ironed out. I really think the routing inefficiencies will be the hardest thing to fix.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
769
758
93
I just got the update, and it is installing as I type this. Will update when I test it a little later, or possibly at night.
 
  • Love
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
769
758
93
Had a great save by FSD 14.1.4 early today in the morning. I did not see the cyclist at all, but FSD did and luckily hit the brakes pretty aggressively. He seemed just as baffled as I was, especially considering that it was a green light, and he did not have the right of way.

Ironically, only seconds after, FSD also did a very harsh brake for a stopped bus. I am assuming it may have mistaken it for a school bus? Or possibly just being overly cautious in case anyone decided to come out from around the bus.

Overall, it has been pretty good so far, but I have certainly experienced a few minor braking issues, and a single lane indecisiveness issue. However, the lane indecisiveness happened when coming to a red traffic light, where FSD seemed to be trying to figure out which lane had the least amount of vehicles stopped.

I'll have to admit that the speed profiles have not been as bad as I initially thought. It seems to go at appropriate speeds, even on the one occasion it did see a 30 MPH limit sign, but still decided that it was better to go 25 with no traffic around on standard. The profiles seem to have their own speed offset by default, where chill is between 3 and 5 MPH over the limit, standard is 5 to 7 MPH, hurry is 7 to 10 MPH, and mad max is 10+ MPH over the limit. Sloth is the exception here, where it will only go exactly the limit or under, and really tries to stay to the right most lane the majority of the time. It will even sit behind very slow moving traffic unless you want it to switch lanes by putting on your turn signal.

On the other end of things, the parking is great, but it seems to be heavily influencing navigation and route planning. It did not go to the correct location for parking a single time, except for my driveway. All the other times, it decided to go park at a different location than at my actual destination. At one location, it even decided to try to go into a residential area behind the actual destination to park. I had to intervene because that was a gated residential area and I couldn't even get in there if I wanted to. Even at my driveway, it decided to go head in first, rather than reversing. That's fine, but I need to reverse into my driveway due to my charging cable not being long enough for head in parking. However, once I lined it up in reverse, it did do the rest on its own, and even pulled under my carport. I think these FSD versions are really starting to show just how bad the navigation and map data are, and how Tesla really needs to start looking into other solutions for this problem.

Lastly, I am noticing a few new software bugs on this version. It is a weird UI bug where the camera feeds seem to flicker and have visual artifacts, along with the automatic drive select feature being obscured by the FSD visualizations. The small steering wheel, and pedal icons will be covered by other UI elements. I still like FSD, but do think it needs some improvements, especially on the map data and navigation aspect. Parking would also be a great area for improvement, like being able to decide exactly where and how you park (I'm aware that is an upcoming feature update). Hopefully they also address all the small bugs in the coming updates. That said, I think this is definitely ready to go out to WAY more people, especially those that have the advanced setting turned on for updates. I think this version is absolutely much safer and better than v13. Where FSD v13 prioritized smoothness over safety, this version prioritizes safety over smoothness, and I think the sweat spot is somewhere in the middle.

On a side note, I did also notice that this version is significantly better at lane centering, and also keeps a much better follow distance and stopping distance for traffic. However, for me, the pothole avoidance is very hit or miss (pun intended). It didn't seem to dodge very recessed manhole covers that can almost be classified as potholes because of how deep they are. So I had to disengage FSD every time I felt it wasn't going to avoid them.
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,096
826
113
Interesting stuff. I've had the car see VRUs before I did in the past, saved me some embarrassment at the least or worse.
Yes, the speed profiles seem to be getting refined! Standard works most of the time, chill on highways with high speed limits, I'm still figuring out where my personal profile fits in :)
Oh, I had a sudden lane change when approaching a school bus from behind (in traffic, not stopped) so maybe there's something with busses.
The parking needs some attention, how to do that without having a ton of options you have to select is gonna be tricky. One thing you can do with parking lots is drop a pin in the lot in the area where you wanna park vs navigating to an address.
Does it feel like it drives more like a 'local' to you in your neighborhood?
Our new 3 is getting 14.1.4 now, so I might borrow it while my partner is at a conference :)
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
769
758
93
Interesting stuff. I've had the car see VRUs before I did in the past, saved me some embarrassment at the least or worse.
Yes, the speed profiles seem to be getting refined! Standard works most of the time, chill on highways with high speed limits, I'm still figuring out where my personal profile fits in :)
Oh, I had a sudden lane change when approaching a school bus from behind (in traffic, not stopped) so maybe there's something with busses.
The parking needs some attention, how to do that without having a ton of options you have to select is gonna be tricky. One thing you can do with parking lots is drop a pin in the lot in the area where you wanna park vs navigating to an address.
Does it feel like it drives more like a 'local' to you in your neighborhood?
Our new 3 is getting 14.1.4 now, so I might borrow it while my partner is at a conference :)
I find that I'm in the same boat with speed profiles, and switch mostly between standard and chill. Sloth seems a bit too conservative the majority of the time, but useful if I want it to slow down immediately.

Yes, I've definitely noticed some weirdness with buses. It almost seems like it always assumes that someone will jump out from around a stopped bus, and when the bus is moving, it wants to switch lanes and stay away from it.

As far as my own neighborhood is concerned… It's really hard to tell, because my neighborhood is your average grid style metro residential area. It does handle it very well, but I've only had it for a few hours with it. Likewise, it does seem to go through it much more like someone who actually lives there would (i.e., at appropriate speeds, and like you know where you're going). But again, parking at my own home is the minor grievance I have. I don't think it will be able to park at my home until we get the option for reversing into places, because it always seemed to want to go head in. Likely due to the fact that I have a very long driveway, and the destination pin is so far into my property that it almost looks like it is on the next street over.

Oh, as a side note, the majority of my destination pins are exactly where the parking is for the location. It's just weird, because when I choose curbside, it goes to the correct location, but if I choose parking lot, it goes to the incorrect location. This is why I mentioned that the map data or route planning is the issue. I kind of expected this to be the case, because the navigation has always had me going through a worse entrance to one of my destinations than the one I usually go through.

Let us know if you find anything new! Or if you feel it the same as version 14.1.3! Would love your input. I'll be doing some more testing later today, so will post more videos or comments if I find anything new.
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,096
826
113
My partner's Highland 3 got the update last night so I took it out this morning.
Can't say I have much experience with 14.1.3 yet so comparing it to 14.1.4 is difficult.
That said - there is an unnecessary second guessing feeling coming off stop signs when pedestrians are around and not remotely an issue. It is still signaling way too early in some places, but one spot where it used to do this was just fine. It's one of those - I'm going through this intersection and turning immediately into a business parking lot after the intersection. Instead of signaling before the intersection it signaled as I was almost through which feels appropriate as it's a quick right.
The routing had me turning into another biz parking lot early. The lot has angled parking and the way to properly go into it was to pass the first entrance and pull in the second one turning left and left again. That gets you lined up with the spots vs turning left into the first cut out and right going against the grain. No biggie but still not right.
One thing I noticed on the way out- it did a great job leaving room for cars to come in while waiting to turn right, out of the lot. You know how people will often cut corners or angle their car when leaving a lot that obstructs anyone coming in? 14.1.4 didn't do that, it left plenty of room. Funny thing is, if I described it well enough you would realize - no one should WANT to come in there, you'd be going against the angled parking :) .
I'm hovering between chill and standard on <30MPH roads. Standard sometimes gets up to 32 in a 25 which is uncomfortable even if it's a twisty road with no driveways or cross streets for a bit.
Except for that second guessing thing that happens on occasion it feels like it knows what it is doing :) .
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
769
758
93
It is still signaling way too early in some places, but one spot where it used to do this was just fine. It's one of those — I'm going through this intersection and turning immediately into a business parking lot after the intersection. Instead of signaling before the intersection, it signaled as I was almost through which feels appropriate as it's a quick right.

Yep, I had this happen to me just now after coming home from my afternoon commute. I needed to make a turn onto a main road, and FSD had its signal on for over 500 feet. Normally I wouldn't mind, but in this case it caused issues for me and got me honked at. This was due to the fact that before this main road there are several smaller side streets that lead to businesses, and the cars behind me thought I was turning into one of those. Not ideal at all.


I'm hovering between chill and standard on <30MPH roads. Standard sometimes gets up to 32 in a 25 which is uncomfortable even if it's a twisty road with no driveways or cross streets for a bit.

I went through a specific town area near me that I know for a fact is 30 MPH everywhere except in roundabouts that are 20 MPH. In this area on v13, I would normally have to limit the speed manually to 30 MPH (because the cops are very strict in this area, and patrol regularly). However, with FSD v14, just putting it on chill actually kept it to that 30 MPH limit the majority of the time, and only occasionally went to 32 MPH. But if I put it in standard, it would immediately try to start going 35 MPH or more, which is a big no no in that area. At least in this case, it seems that the speed profiles do work for me the way I hope they would.


As far as the small hesitations are concerned, I agree, it is pretty weird. I did have more braking events and lane indecisiveness on my afternoon commute. But the lane indecisiveness this time seemed to be due to wanting to switch lanes, but a truck that speed up as soon as it decided to switch lanes. It had its wheels over the line, but quickly wiggled the steering wheel back into its original lane. Once the truck passed, it completed the lane change without issue. Perhaps FSD v14 just really doesn't like to be close to other cars or pedestrians, lol. Can't say I blame it.
 
  • Love
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
769
758
93
Im noticing today, I honestly feel like the pothole avoidance isn’t in this update. In all honesty, it feels much like v13 in that sense, where it almost feels like it’s seeking every manhole cover to go over it. It will happily dodge road debris much better, but the pothole avoidance isn’t really working for me.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

SoMEtesla

New member
Nov 4, 2024
24
23
3
2023 model Y running 14.1.4 - It is windy here in Maine today and the leaves have been falling for a couple weeks now. Today the car aggressively swerved a couple feet into the lane to my left on a 6 lane (3 each direction) highway doing 75 mph in standard mode - because some leaves blew across the highway. There were no other cars around me at the time so the lane change was ok - but not necessary. Traveling another stretch of road at about 30 mph the car abruptly swerved left into the oncoming lane to avoid a puddle. It didn't slow down and signal like it would have if it had been a utility vehicle blocking the lane. The lane change was "un announced" and appeared to be last moment/unplanned. A second drive by this spot resulted in the exact same reaction. Later, on a secondary road doing 45mph the car came to an fairly aggressive complete stop for some more leaves caught up in a gust of wind. Most of them died as the car ran over them before coming to a stop. A mile down the road doing about 50 the car panic braked - ABS triggered, again to a full stop. Items in the back seat came crashing forward. This time the leaves survived. The folks doing regression testing need to include some wind and fallen leaves into the test plan. This isn't just a bit of nuisance "brake stabbing."
 
  • Like
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

moortime

Member
Aug 14, 2023
80
58
18
Eastham Massachusetts
2023 model Y running 14.1.4 - It is windy here in Maine today and the leaves have been falling for a couple weeks now. Today the car aggressively swerved a couple feet into the lane to my left on a 6 lane (3 each direction) highway doing 75 mph in standard mode - because some leaves blew across the highway. There were no other cars around me at the time so the lane change was ok - but not necessary. Traveling another stretch of road at about 30 mph the car abruptly swerved left into the oncoming lane to avoid a puddle. It didn't slow down and signal like it would have if it had been a utility vehicle blocking the lane. The lane change was "un announced" and appeared to be last moment/unplanned. A second drive by this spot resulted in the exact same reaction. Later, on a secondary road doing 45mph the car came to an fairly aggressive complete stop for some more leaves caught up in a gust of wind. Most of them died as the car ran over them before coming to a stop. A mile down the road doing about 50 the car panic braked - ABS triggered, again to a full stop. Items in the back seat came crashing forward. This time the leaves survived. The folks doing regression testing need to include some wind and fallen leaves into the test plan. This isn't just a bit of nuisance "brake stabbing."
Im glad im not the only one seeing the quick braking and I think the car is seeing leafs falling and trying to not hit them.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,096
826
113
Wow! Sorry you have to deal with that but it is a little comical :) . Can’t wait to get THAT fixed, I can wait for 14.1.5 or 2 at this point.
Glad you’re okay.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SoMEtesla