Discuss: Tesla to Switch to Unreal Engine for Improved FSD Visualizations

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
769
758
93
Personally, I am unsure about this development. Would it be nice to see while the car still needs to be supervised? Sure. But I believe if the goal is to eventually be unsupervised, that the extra processing power that is costing should be put elsewhere. Or at least have an option to toggle it on and off.
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,096
826
113
Personally, I am unsure about this development. Would it be nice to see while the car still needs to be supervised? Sure. But I believe if the goal is to eventually be unsupervised, that the extra processing power that is costing should be put elsewhere. Or at least have an option to toggle it on and off.
Exactly. For the time being the visualizations are really for us to feel more comfortable about what the car is doing! Once FSD is 'done' we'll be watching YouTube or browsing the internet. Not holding my breath :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Procal and RNHurt

JustJoe

New member
May 20, 2025
3
3
3
Personally, I am unsure about this development. Would it be nice to see while the car still needs to be supervised? Sure. But I believe if the goal is to eventually be unsupervised, that the extra processing power that is costing should be put elsewhere. Or at least have an option to toggle it on and off.
Once they get to a LESS supervised or unsupervised status i wouldn't be surprised if they had an option to turn it off just to save system resource and let those builds run better on HW3 or 4. I'm convinced they will be very close to unsupervised with HW4 but HW5 will be were it reliably happens.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
769
758
93
Once they get to a LESS supervised or unsupervised status i wouldn't be surprised if they had an option to turn it off just to save system resource and let those builds run better on HW3 or 4. I'm convinced they will be very close to unsupervised with HW4 but HW5 will be were it reliably happens.
I'm somewhat the opposite. I believe that they will have unsupervised on HW4, and every following hardware version will just be an improvement in parameter count, which means it will be overall safer and capable of handling more edge cases. Likely also more features.