Discuss: Tesla Plans 8 GWh of Battery Production at Giga Berlin by 2027

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,096
826
113
I think what makes this even more interesting is specifically the 4680 batteries. Sure, it’s over a year out, but that shows some confidence in the 4680. I’m not sure how timelines work in Germany vs here in the US, is this likely / possible? Seems like everything here takes longer than planned.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
769
758
93
I'm honestly still somewhat surprised they are pursuing this so aggressively. You would think with the other much better battery technologies already on the market or in development that they would maybe push towards that, or partner with those companies.
 

PrescottAZRichard

Well-known member
Oct 28, 2022
1,096
826
113
4680 is just a form factor right? So the chemistry is the real secret sauce. At least that's my understanding. I think Tesla will buy what it needs when it needs it as well. I dunno. Tesla does have that vertical integration mentality, that can be a strength but also spread you thin. Plenty of time to see what happens here.
My gripe with battery announcements (not this one) that are the 'game changers' or 'next big thing' or whatever is that very few pan out. I say that fully realizing that's EXACTLY what happened with the original 4680 announcement. At least so far.
 

Procal

Well-known member
Jun 12, 2024
769
758
93
Yeah, I hate the headline grabbing titles just as much as the next person, but I still think that some other battery tech out there seems better. But I think you're right and that 4680 might just be the form factor. I'm really hoping that we see some advancements in battery tech in the next 5 years. It would be amazing if you can get an EV with more range, or at least a lighter battery with the same range.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard